Black border vs white border old card face.

Which do you prefer, black bordered cards from Xth or white bordered cards from 7th Edition and earlier that bear the old card face?

This only applies to a handful of cards that are difficult to get black bordered, such as Wrath of God and Underworld Dreams, but I would rather have the oldface white bordered card.
    Quote from ishtaruku
    Siege-Gang Commander is a piece of **** now.
    **** !!!

Quote from Tanion
    Holy hell... the arts look TERRIBLE! Venser is holding two sperm and Koth is going to fall off a cliff. Good job guys Rofl
    Black border in almost every single scenario. My favorite cards are 7th edition foils.
    I do enjoy me some BB in every card face. There's almost no comparison for me.

For card face's sake, I actually like the new one.
    Ex-Magic Rules Advisor
    10/3/13 Once again I join the elite ranks of
    Magic Rules Advisors...

I sell things on Ebay rarely. Look at them.
    That's a good question. It's a close call for me as I do like the old card face more than the new...but I think I like black borders even better.
    umm... what difference does it make?

This post contributes nothing to the content and is, thus, spam. This is a thread asking for opinions, so if you're only going to post in a derogatory manor to those who do have opinions on a subject, please don't post at all.
    Last edited by extremeicon: 7/19/2007 2:52:54 PM
    i'll gladly take BB.

i am curious with Xth and assuming the next cores are BB will this actually put WB stuff into demand? (eventually?)
    Quote from dracomageat
    umm... what difference does it make?
    An aesthetic difference. That is, which do you think looks better than the other?
    I almost always take BB over WB with the exception of cards that were available in Unlimited. I love the heavy inking on Unlimited cards and their Beta counterparts are almost always WAY more expensive. Similarly I will alway enjoy the old card face more than the new one, even with foils. Seventh foil Painlands over 9th/10th, MM foil Brainstorms over FNM foils, Judge/MM/7th foil Counterspells over FNM foil, etc. Anyhow in you example of Wrath, I would take Unlimited WB old face over 10th BB new face any day.
    Black Border every time. The white border detracts from the look of the card to me unlesss it is a white card, but even then the black border looks better.
    Quote from Spectral_Bears
    Anyhow in you example of Wrath, I would take Unlimited WB old face over 10th BB new face any day.
    Wrath in particular is an easeir call for me because of the artwork. Though I generally love Quinton Hoover and older cards, I find the new artwork much sexier. 7E Wraths are my favorite in spite of the white border - new art, old face.
    Quote from Azerbaijan
    Wrath in particular is an easeir call for me because of the artwork. Though I generally love Quinton Hoover and older cards, I find the new artwork much sexier. 7E Wraths are my favorite in spite of the white border - new art, old face.
    That's why I heart the foils in that set so much. Amazing art, BB, old face, and shiny.
    i think white bordered black cards look downright ugly compared to the black bordered ones. other than that i dont really care.
    7th foil ARE indeed very pretty, i love drawing my 7th foil land. it had a cool symbol too. but i think black borders are much better than white. white just stands out too much.
    I almost always take BB over WB with the exception of cards that were available in Unlimited. I love the heavy inking on Unlimited cards and their Beta counterparts are almost always WAY more expensive. Similarly I will alway enjoy the old card face more than the new one, even with foils.

I will echo this with the exception of the foil part. Honestly, I could do pretty much without foils. But if I had to pick a favorite, I much prefer the new foiling style to the old one. So something like BB, old card face, new foiling technique.

Quote from ROORftw
    i am curious with Xth and assuming the next cores are BB will this actually put WB stuff into demand? (eventually?)

I doubt they will make a habit of printing core sets in BB. Doing so is a huge selling point that I see them doing every 10 years. In 2 years, look for the same WB garbage with a lot of the good cards included in 10th, disappearing.
    Current Soul Collector count: 184
    PM me if you have any to trade or sell.

Games finished:17
    Games ongoing:1
    Town/Mafia/Other - 13/2/2
    Won/Lost/replaced/modkilled- 4/13/3/1
    NK'ed(vig'ed)/Lynched/Endgamed(Survived) - 7(2)/5/5(1)

Matrix Mafia Town MVP
    Medieval Mafia Mafia MVP

Ye have enemies? Good, good - it means ye've stood up for something, sometime in thy life. - Elminster of Shadowdale
    I actually kind of like the new face, honestly, and I will always want BB. The old/new cardface clashing doesn't bother me that much, but white borders do. I hope they completely do away with white borders, I don't think anyone will miss them.
    Currently playing:

In Modern:
    :symu::symw::symr: Holy Rollers (Geist Tempo)

My NovelJoy author profile: http://www.noveljoy.com/userInfo?wid=189

I write mainly horror/scifi/fantasy type short stories. Please read and feel free to send me feedback.
    Moved to Opinions & Polls.
    "...because without beer, things do not seem to go as well."
    ~
    Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monastery
    Munjor, Kansas 1902

Foreign/Imported Beer Bottle Collection:
    Total Beers - 593
    Different Countries - 68
    Favorite - Westvleteren 12 (Belgium)
    Last Beer Sampled - Kapittel Abt (Belgium)
    i love black border will only do those,

also if i had to choose i would

Newborder>old boder 100% of the time infact i go out of my way for new border cards.
    Such as my swords of plowshares and disencahnts, from the coldsnap precons, its just the old borders are so ugly to me...
    I dunno new borders are so much cleaner in my eyes >
    also Black Border Core sets forever!!

Originally Posted by Darem talking about bird maiden
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/maiden
    1 out of 4 says she is a human, 2 out of 4 says she is a horse, and 1 out of 4 says she is an execution device. Take your pick =p

Fusion Elemental is like riding a pony, which probably doesn't sound dangerous, except that in this case the pony is 300 feet tall and covered in chainsaws, and to get on the pony you have to take an elevator with sixteen live cougars.
    I almost always take BB over WB with the exception of cards that were available in Unlimited. I love the heavy inking on Unlimited cards and their Beta counterparts are almost always WAY more expensive. Similarly I will alway enjoy the old card face more than the new one, even with foils. Seventh foil Painlands over 9th/10th, MM foil Brainstorms over FNM foils, Judge/MM/7th foil Counterspells over FNM foil, etc. Anyhow in you example of Wrath, I would take Unlimited WB old face over 10th BB new face any day.

QFMFT. I'm collecting 7th and Apocalypse foil painlands and not even accepting 9th/10th foil painlands, and desperately hunting for 7th foil Wraths and Birds because newer ones are ugly. I'm running Portal Wraths in my Legacy and Five-Color decks simply because textless are ugly and 9th/10th foils are worse.

I'd take BB nonfoil 10th over any WB, though. WB is ugly in ANY card frame.

Sale list highlights: FOIL Innistrad Full Set, Ponder Playmat
    Third party trade service now available — PM me for details.
    DCI Level 1 Judge
    We'd prefer you not cause your opponent's cards to cease to exist.
    Black-bordered old face, always.

To me, BB looks more professional and polished. WB doesn't look quite as classy. As for card faces, the new card faces are just going to be something we're going to have to accept, although the old card faces had a much more "fantasy" feel to it.

Thanks to a_passer_bye for an incredible signature banner!

Trade with me!
    Black-bordered almost always wins out over White-bordered, as does New-frame over Old-frame, at least for me. Although, the only time that I really care is when I like one artwork better.
    Black Bordered-New Frame. I always hated white bordered, even with the old frame. I can't get at all for example, the 7th edition Duress: for me it's so ugly that I would kill anyone who doesn't have an urza, BB playset.

Looking at mogg fanatic with post 8th frame, however, I think that it looks cool. I don't have nothing against the new frame. I like it in the same way I like the old one, and this most probably because I don't feel that sense of nostalgia of the veteran players because I started with mirrodin. However, no White border, please. ever. I love X mostly because it's BB. :D
    Quote from Jedit
    Success is no proof of quality. It's much more likely to be proof of mediocrity.

Quote from Green_Lantern
    Now all we need is a U2 3/3 Sliver Creature with "All Slivers you controll gain old Sliver art".
    Easy call. I happen to think any card face other than the Classic one is ugly (Windows XP much?), and I could care less about border color.

So white-bordered old card face for me.
    MTGS: Where criticism of staff is a bannable offense.

Quote from Blinking Spirit »
    Quote from TheButt »
    My sig is not trolling. And it's not opinion, it's fact.

And I'm not changing it. I'm not gonna be browbeated by a moderator, simply because you don't like the fact that I'm bringing to light that the staff suspends half-decent posters, while allowing trolls to run rampant.

Well, you've still got about fourteen hours before you're infracted for noncompliance. Talk to whomever you want.
    BB is my fave in all cases, i like the new border the best.

**L@@king for cheap singles? Use Cardshark. Sign up today!**
    $$FREE MONEY$$ for College!
    Current Anson Maddocks Fallen Angel Count: 449 !!!
    Trade Binder * Buy/Sell List
    Decks:
    green mana 9 Land Stompy
    :symu::symg::symw: Stasis
    :symr::symg::symw: Uril EDH
    BB>WB. Just as why beta is more pimp to players compared to UL.

Signature and Avatar credits :):

Thanks to Topher and his shop: [Æther]:Card Avvy & Banner Templates for the sig!

My MTGS H/W list
    I'm a Third Party Trader. For Third Party Trades Pm me here.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes