Do tokens have any (monetary) value?

Some time ago I got in a booster an assassin token of the type that Vraska's ultimate creates (ie. it has the ability "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game.")

I think that this particular token might be unusually rare, so I was wondering if it has any kind of monetary value.
    Here you go! http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=413859

Some are rarer than others, based on the rarity of the card producing the token. StarCity (and other places) carry all of them, so you can search up prices for any token on there.
    While online stores may list prices for tokens, it doesn't mean anyone will pay you for your tokens. Tokens are quite non-fluid and finding a buyer can be hard.
    Quote from nightwyrm
    While online stores may list prices for tokens, it doesn't mean anyone will pay you for your tokens. Tokens are quite non-fluid and finding a buyer can be hard.

Just like Magic cards, trying to sell your bulk tokens is just like bulk cards. Selling your Unglued Goblins tokens or your Marit Lage token is easier.
    I throw rarer tokens like that in my trade binder and they usually find their way into a trade as a throw-in.
    The only tokens that people generally seem willing to pay for/the only ones actually worth anything are the Wurmcoil tokens from Scars, the foil Marit Lage token, and the foil tokens from the Helvault.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    I frequently use tokens as kickers during trades....

Mythic tokens are sought after more than common ones, but people need bulk of common ones....
    I remember the Wurmcoil Engine tokens being quite valuable...don't know if they still are.

Signature courtesy of Rivenor and Miraculous Recovery

EDH Altered Cards by Galspanic (Seriously, this guy's awesome.)
    My Pauper Cube
    Tapped-Out Simulator
    My Trade Thread

-Decks-

Commander:
    GWR Rith, the Awakener RWG
    U Kami of the Crescent Moon U (Flagship Deck)
    BW Teysa, Orzhov Scion WB

Under Construction:
    UBR Crosis, the Purger RBU

Cube:
    WUBRGX Pauper XGRBUW

Voice of resurgence tokens can be worth a few bucks too, as well as the planeswalker emblems.
    Quote from TheArchitect
    I remember the Wurmcoil Engine tokens being quite valuable...don't know if they still are.

Still worth around $3-5 I believe.
    DCI Rules Advisor
    "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

"Knowledge is such a burden. Release it. Release all your fears to me."
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

EDH
    blue manaGrimgrin, Corpse-Born (Competitive, UB Combo/Reanimator)black mana(RETIRED)
    DimirLazav, Dimir Mastermind (Competitive, UB Voltron/Control)Dimir

Legacy
    WUManalessBDredgeRG

Mountains tap for red. Islands tap for blue. Comboing out is sweet, especially against you.
    Wasn't the Godsire token rarer than the card itself? I thought I heard that somewhere.

But yeah, there are different rarities for tokens, but other than deal eveners, they aren't going to be worth much of anything.

DCI Level 1 Judge
    The Magic Player Rewards Tokens are somewhat valuable as well. Until M14, it was the only way to have an actual physical colorless sliver token. Needless to say, it was somewhat valuable. The older ones circa Invasion and Odyssey also still have value to them.

usually i get more in trade for my custom tokens
    Standard
    :symw::symr:Pyrowhite:symr::symw:
    :symb::symr:Dos Rakis:symr::symb:
    Modern
    :symw::symb::symr:Burn:symr::symb::symw:
    most tokens can be bought 4 for $1

The ones that carry actual trade value are the mythic rarity tokens like the Wurmcoil Wurms and Planeswalker Emblems and the ones that are legitimately rare tokens (player rewards, pre-release, release, FNM reward, and Unglued)
    "If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions!"
    -Anonymous
    Official DCI Rules Advisor
    Main EDH
    B Mikaeus' Zombie Menace
    Modern
    W Soul Sisters
    I just want to point out something to people who doubt the power of Squadron Hawk in Modern. I won game one against R/G Tron, off of a Mull to 5, because of Squadron Hawk.

4 for a 1$ hell. The LGS owner has a box of tokens that for free.
    Standard
    :symw::symr:Pyrowhite:symr::symw:
    :symb::symr:Dos Rakis:symr::symb:
    Modern
    :symw::symb::symr:Burn:symr::symb::symw:
    Some tokens have value:

Like Wurmcoil Tokens (like everyone said lol), The Sorin, Lord of Innistrad Vampire tokens and others I think.
    Currently Playing:
    Standard
    U Devotion
    Modern
    UR Twin
    EDH
    RB Voldaren

"The Emperor Protects"
    Quote from Tanro

Yes, but those aren't typically specific tokens.
    Some people will want specific ones for either a deck they are playing or for a horde deck, and 4 for $1 is a lot better than having to deal with sourcing them themselves.

Just like if you go to almost any website you'll see even the worst commons listed at $0.25, just because of the fact that it's the convience of it that you're paying for.
    For the boar tokens you'll have to look up the value of lean hogs in the business section, they tend to fluctuate
    Quote from Tanro

my LGS has a big box of tokens and several boxes of land, all are "free to use" but only while in the store (mainly for draft games), you (should) put them back when you are done (often i forget and find them after i get home and bring back a pile the next time I play there, he doesnt really care). otherwise you can buy them 10 for $1 for tokens and 50 for a $1 for land

unless its a particularly rare token, the planeswalker emblem tokens he usually sells for $1, he had the assassins up for 50 cents when they first came out and were particularly in demand, they are 10 cents now like the rest

some of the really old or special ones are worth more (unglued, etc)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes