Control/mill Deck.

Hi guys. I was just curious about what sort of creatures people running in a control/mill deck tend to use.

I tend to go with cards that force an opponent to draw and then defenders, things such as wall of frost and guard gomoaza's. Anything that can take a good hit and not dissapear!
    The only "Control/mill deck" I've ever played, casual TurboFog, ran 4x Kami of the False Hope and 4x Palace Guard and no other creatures.
    I tend to favour Vigilance creatures, preferably with flying. That way you can both attack and block, would you need to.
    A good starting place would be to establish your milling spells. A few good spells include Tome scour and Archive Trap . Some good monsters for a control deck include: Baneslayer Angel, Wall of Omens, and Consecrated Sphinx.
    Best creature in a mill deck? Ever? Bar none, painter's servant. Nothing even comes even remotely close.

"Sometimes, the situation is outracing a threat, sometimes it's ignoring it, and sometimes it involves sideboarding in 4x Hope//Pray." --Doug Linn

Hedron Crab is a great card for mill. I ran a mill deck during Alara-Zen standard that had crabs, wall of denial and that was it for creatures. It was Esper colors(BUW) and also had a few mind funeral's, archive traps and tome scour's. It worked Surprisingly well. Having path to exile in hand and exiling someones creature for them to go grab a land with you having 2 or more archive traps in hand felt really good lol.
    Last edited by machoyd: 8/10/2011 7:19:58 AM

Big shout out to Megabug at Realm of the Bug Studios for the sig! Smile

Standard - GBWJunk in the TrunkWBG
    Even funnier is running no creatures. Wastes your opponent's removal spells.
    Pseudo card advantage Cool
    360 Peasant Cube - Draft it and I'll draft yours
    Quote from Shady Wolf
    My focus is on playing, and not how much my opponents and I earn. As long as the proxy is legible, I have no issue with proxies.
    I like the Gomazoa's, Fog bank dinos.

And why to people not mention Traumatize, Haunting Echoes, temple bells, Jace's and Glimpse the Unthinkable.
    Sometimes a Twincast.

You need that black ravanous trap for people playing Eldrazis

I dont like White Mill, but Path is great with Archive trap.

And that stupid Eldrazi spinning Hedron mill half your deck artifact.

I don't know the Painter servant combo, how does that work?
    Bad products are bad products. Bad products are not "designed" for casuals you meanie.
    Quote from Poem
    I like the Gomazoa's, Fog bank dinos.

And why to people not mention Traumatize, Haunting Echoes, temple bells, Jace's and Glimpse the Unthinkable.
    Sometimes a Twincast.

You need that black ravanous trap for people playing Eldrazis

I dont like White Mill, but Path is great with Archive trap.

And that stupid Eldrazi spinning Hedron mill half your deck artifact.

I don't know the Painter servant combo, how does that work?

The Painter's Servant makes all cards the same colour, including in your opponent's library. Grindstone's ability repeats if the two cards milled are the same colour, so you mill their entire library.
    Quote from void_nothing
    Oh my God, you took him seriously.

Quote from KoolKoal
    No

ME and CC should be ashamed. They actually managed to make the spam less interesting than usual.
    Wall of Shards is also a nice choice for mill decks, as you don't care if your opponent is gaining life.
    What format are you asking about OP? I think what creatures I'd call the best for a mill/control deck change depending on the format.

Quote from mondu_the_fat
    Best creature in a mill deck? Ever? Bar none, painter's servant. Nothing even comes even remotely close.

I must respectfully disagree. While the combos with Grindstone and/or Oona are indeed powerful, the servant still needs those other cards to be of any use. While they can be useful even without the servant, a painter's servant by it's self is not very good.
    This new mtgsalvation sucks Question those who don't question authority.
    420'd
    Quote from majinboo
    Hi guys. I was just curious about what sort of creatures people running in a control/mill deck tend to use.

I tend to go with cards that force an opponent to draw and then defenders, things such as wall of frost and guard gomoaza's. Anything that can take a good hit and not dissapear!

Depends on the format. Standard, the best creatures are hedron crabs. Extended, it gets a little blurred, but hedron's still up there.

Older formats... mill doesn't really exist. Its ruined by legendary eldrazi in most formats and if you come up against legacy dredge, you'll be helping them to do what they're trying to do anyway.
    Rules Adviser
    Quote from MirrorEntity
    The Painter's Servant makes all cards the same colour, including in your opponent's library. Grindstone's ability repeats if the two cards milled are the same colour, so you mill their entire library.
    Thank you sir.:love:

Quote from asw122
    Older formats... mill doesn't really exist. Its ruined by legendary eldrazi in most formats and if you come up against legacy dredge, you'll be helping them to do what they're trying to do anyway.
    That's a given and why you should always side a set of ravenous traps.
    Bad products are bad products. Bad products are not "designed" for casuals you meanie.
    My preferred creature for mill is All is Dust, closely followed by Day of Judgment, Wrath of God and Damnation. Mimic Vat also counts as a creature.
    Nicholas Cage, planeswalker
    Quote from MirrorEntity

Which makes Painters Servant a terrible mill card, unless you happen to pair it with Grindstone. The OP wasn't asking for mill combos, he was asking for mill creatures.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes