MTG addiction?

Do any of the following sound familiar to any of you out there:

- You have bought a juicy stack of boosters and you're regretting it. In fact, you started to regret it already when you were handing over the money to pay for them, but you figured "I might as well..." or something to that effect. And now you wish you hadn't.

- You've just opened another juicy stack of boosters and realized that you've paid a bunch of money for jank rares you could've just bought from a bulk bin for a fraction of the price. And now you hate anyone who's ever pulled a Jace out of a pack.

- You're sitting at home with nothing to do and suddenly you feel an urge to make a new deck ... but ALAS! you need three commons and two uncommons to complete your brilliant deck and you can't wait for the singles to come through online and your cr*ppy town doens't have a good enough singles seleciton to suffice, so the only option you're left is to buy yet another juicy stack of boosters. And now you hate being the slave of your own addiction-driven creativity.

- You think about magic and you can't help thinking about the money you've lost and the corner you're in. You already have so much but still need so much more.

I confess that all of those have at one point or another happened to me. In fact, some of them happen to me every now and then. I really like magic as a game, but I'm also the kind of guy that can't help hoarding a collection for myself. I'm not saying it's out of control or anything, I'm just saying it gets to me sometimes. I do make bad decisions at times and the occasional bad luck doesn't help.

Anyone else out there with similar experiences? What has happened to you? How do you deal with it? Is MTG worth the worries it comes with?
    Check 1
    Check 2
    Pass on 3
    Check 4

Oh dear...

I am trying to cap the expense I let slip into this game, but it doesn't happen easily! Random booster purchases are the worst culprits! I don't mind spending a bit of cash on singles for a deck, but when I buy boosters I almost immediately upon opening them feel like an idiot. I soften the blow by trying to get at least one Winston draft out of each booster though.
    After Mirrodin is finished this summer, my Magic playing will drift off a bit. I've already decided I am simply not interested in collecting ANOTHER core set. I'm going to take the limb off before gangrene sets in!
    "I prepared explosive runes this morning"
    Quote from Loath
    Do any of the following sound familiar to any of you out there:

- You have bought a juicy stack of boosters and you're regretting it. In fact, you started to regret it already when you were handing over the money to pay for them, but you figured "I might as well..." or something to that effect. And now you wish you hadn't.

- You've just opened another juicy stack of boosters and realized that you've paid a bunch of money for jank rares you could've just bought from a bulk bin for a fraction of the price. And now you hate anyone who's ever pulled a Jace out of a pack.

- You're sitting at home with nothing to do and suddenly you feel an urge to make a new deck ... but ALAS! you need three commons and two uncommons to complete your brilliant deck and you can't wait for the singles to come through online and your cr*ppy town doens't have a good enough singles seleciton to suffice, so the only option you're left is to buy yet another juicy stack of boosters. And now you hate being the slave of your own addiction-driven creativity.

- You think about magic and you can't help thinking about the money you've lost and the corner you're in. You already have so much but still need so much more.

I confess that all of those have at one point or another happened to me. In fact, some of them happen to me every now and then. I really like magic as a game, but I'm also the kind of guy that can't help hoarding a collection for myself. I'm not saying it's out of control or anything, I'm just saying it gets to me sometimes. I do make bad decisions at times and the occasional bad luck doesn't help.

Anyone else out there with similar experiences? What has happened to you? How do you deal with it? Is MTG worth the worries it comes with?

I've seen this, and it's not "MTG Addiction." It's more like a booster pack addiction.

I have some friends who treat booster packs like scratcher's tickets. They know the EV is horrible, yet I'll see them rip open booster packs, flip to the Twincast in the back, and kind of do that it's-a-booster-pack-what-was-i-expecting shrug.
    They're all smart. They know that our local shop has plenty of sealed events and drafts. They're aware of the singles market online and that people with good cards want to trade with them. They just can't stand the sight of an unopened pack.

What's worse, is some of these people get all cross about budget and wallets and unfair advantage when I have four Jaces or whatever. Of course they're never going to get to four Jaces, if they're paying 4 dollars a pop for Molten Psyche, Wakestone Gargoyle and Salvage Titan!

Talk about budgeting. You're buying a "stack of juicy packs" or whatever you called them because you need two commons for a deck?

I'm seeing 4x playsets of commons and uncommons from a given set at about 20-30 dollars online. You're really going to bust that many packs looking for one blightning or whatever when you could get four of every ARB non-rare for the same cost?

You're not addicted to magic. You just have buyer's remorse because you're spending your money in the least efficient way possible.

--

Edit: I hope that didn't come off as harsh. We've all been there, to be honest, which is why it's frustrating to see others go through that point. The best thing you can do is to put it behind you and change your purchasing habits.
    Last edited by Promatim: 2/8/2011 9:11:52 AM
    I'll be sad if people don't start calling The Chain Veil "Fleetwood Mac."
    Buying boosters is more of the "thrill" I guess of opening them. It's like playing a game in hopes of getting the cards you want. I don't really buy boosters, just singles really but I do feel kind of addicted reading about magic decks and such when I should be working on other stuff.

As long as you're not doing sexual favors in the back alleyways to get money for that playset of thoughseizes you've been wanting, I think you'll be fine lol.

EDH: Phage, The Untouchable
    Only good deck.
    Check off 1, 2, & 4 for me. If 3 ever happens to me I do one of three things: A) continue to tweak sometimes you don't actually need to card for the deck, B) Proxie/Temporally substitute then order online and wait, or C) Put that deck aside and move on to another idea.

On an interesting related note... R&D knows they're selling us an addiction just look at [
    R&D's secret lair. How often have we heard of a player "QUITING MAGIC FOREVER!" only to have them return in just a few years. Sounds like an addiction to me.

Sig by Rivenor

Cube. The best way to play Magic. PERIOD. Come over and check it out. Also, check out my Peasant Split Card Cube. I Love It When A Plan Comes Together

The World of Pokemon RPG has been rebooted. Come over and check it out. Psyshiro Duckezawa

Set Creation Projects: We Can Do ItArchester: Frontier of Steam Yar! Come over and check out our AWESOME Steampunk set.

(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)
    I have to agree with Promatim here. It took me a long while to figure it out, because I live in a small town with no card shop; the closest ones are hours away. When it comes to singles, my options are "trade from a friend" or "Buy online", or god forbid, buy boosters. Almost everyone in my town just buys booster packs [one guy used to buy a playset of every new expansion, minus mythics, but he stopped when he realized he couldn't ever get our Mythics because he just kept trying to trade us stuff from Ravnica at newest], either one-by-one from Target for 4 bucks a pop, 9 at a time from Fat Packs, or rarely a box/splitting a box when a set releases. Very few of us just buy singles, but I run into the same thing of people whining about me having 4 Jaces, one of which is foil, that I didn't pull out of a pack or buy. I traded for them, and people complain because they just buy packs trying to play the Mythic lottery. I mean, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love cracking packs, and tearing into a box still in the shrink-wrap is heavenly, but it just isn't cost efficient. I'm trying to get us to do some more booster drafts and/or Sealed, so that'll help curb everyone's appetite for packs, I hope.
    Level 1 DCI Judge
    Want to know how we make our rulings? Follow the link! DCI Document Center.

The latest Comprehensive Rules are also good, and can be found here.
    I play Limited and sell my winnings to my friends at reduced rates. That way, they feed their booster-cracking addiction more cheaply and I get to convert my winnings from product (which I don't need, because I don't play Constructed) to cash (to play more Limited! :D).
    Quote from Erostelu
    Maybe this reality is actually an alternate reality of a reality in which New Phyrexia was the joke expansion and Mirrodin Pure was the obvious expansion, except our reality is the Time Shifted reality which is opposite of that other reality which is that actual reality.

Level 1 Judge. I tweet. Member of clan <Limited>. The Dunning-Kruger effect.
    Quote from two_eyes
    I play Limited and sell my winnings to my friends at reduced rates. That way, they feed their booster-cracking addiction more cheaply and I get to convert my winnings from product (which I don't need, because I don't play Constructed) to cash (to play more Limited! :D).

This is what I do to! Except that instead of selling the packs directly, I'll run another draft at my house once I've won enough. Even more limited play! Woo!
    I really wish Booster tutor becomes a legal card eventually.
    I just want people who redraft to admit this:

"I can't draft objectively unless I am able to guarantee that I receive at least 3 rares. I am also better than most average/new players so I want to make sure that I get the best rares and they end up with worse ones. I care more about the monetary value of cards than actually playing the game for decent prizes."

Watch Play Read
    Twitter
    I......love......booster packs. It just makes me feel like a kid again. HOWEVER, I do have a limit.

Also, have you guys noticed that MTG cards have that certain "smell" when you first open them? I love it.
    I passed on all 4
    If you're buying packs for over $3 a peice after tax urdoinitwrong.
    Also buying anything other than packs for limited or a sealed box is just horrible EV.

TDLR; buying packs for $4 is the equivilant of setting a pile of money on fire.
    Quote from linvala
    I passed on all 4
    If you're buying packs for over $3 a peice after tax urdoinitwrong.
    Also buying anything other than packs for limited or a sealed box is just horrible EV.

TDLR; buying packs for $4 is the equivilant of setting a pile of money on fire.

what if they retail for $3.99 but the tax pushes them over $4?

my local target and newbury comics sell em for that.
    Quote from ToxicKiwi

If you are buying packs for any reason other than limited of some form, urdoinitwrong.
    Quote from ToxicKiwi

He said it's a bad idea to buy them for 3 dollars before tax, so why would 4 dollars before tax be better? If you love buying packs, you should be buying them by the box. Here, a pack is 3.99 plus 7% tax, so 4.27 after tax. That's 21ish packs for 90 dollars, when you could just order an entire box of 36 for that price, it's just not cost-efficient. Heck, boosters in general aren't, unless you just want to have a lot of cards from that set. The most efficient way to do it is buy a playset of commons/uncommons for 30 bucks, and buy rares as needed [or do drafts and such, and trade off your rares for rares you need]. Cracking packs at 4 bucks a pop is not a good way to get cards you need.
    Level 1 DCI Judge

Quote from Zoomer3989
    If you are buying packs for any reason other than limited of some form, urdoinitwrong.

The only exception being when a new set comes out if it's a good set it's EV can be higher than the actual box.
    Although I am fairly new, the draw to getting boosters is crack. I've tried to limit myself purely to fnm drafts for cards (which is completely reasonable, and would probably get better cards, as long as I win most of the time. I do however, enjoy opening a few packs with my brother purely for the high five factor when one of us gets something nice.
    Quote from linvala
    The only exception being when a new set comes out if it's a good set it's EV can be higher than the actual box.

Except that's only the case in extremely rare circumstances, and rarely for more then a month or less. I'll give you ZEN for fetches and eventually Future Sight, but that's it.
    I havent bought a booster pack since Alliances.

You are all suckers.

Let's face it. Some people like opening boosters(it's fun) and some can't get past the fact that it is the least efficient way to get cards(it's gambling really). If you enjoy opening boosters then do it in moderation. If you feel remorse then you probably don't enjoy it as much as you've convinced yourself. Listen to your logical side instead of emotional and curb that booster urge as best you can.
    I find it a colossal waste of money to buy booster packs if you aren't going to a limited event. really, there is no benefit to opening booster packs. sure I might buy 1 or 2 every now and then, but that's it. need 2 uncomons and 3 commons? order online. 3$shipping plus 4$ for the cards is already less than 10$ for three boosters and no guarantee you'll see the needed cards.

in other words, get help, OP.
    Mai decks

Standart
    I don't own 4 thragtusks

Commander
    :symr:Gaka-Style Norin:symr:
    :symb::symu:Wrexial and his stealy antics:symb::symu:
    :symg::symw:Saffi, lord of Value and Brokenness:symw::symg:
    Legacy
    :symw::symb::symg::symr::symu:Quadlazer dredge:symu::symr::symg::symb::symw:
    ''Maybe I should play the fifth divination.- LSV
    I only buy packs to play limited, then the only packs I open straight are the prizes, unless there are 6+, in which case I make a sealed deck.
    I tweet @lurkingpredator
    I'm Da_Man on Cockatrice
    However, in today's culture of Justin Bieber, Jersey Shore, and Twilight, where every song on the radio, every program on television and every site on the internet is just another monument to the pinnacle of human stupidity, it's certainly not the worst thing that people could be watching.
    One of the things peolpe keep bringing up is "order online" as if it was actually a possibility for everyone.

Right now, I am a foreigner living in Japan. I can't order off American sites cause they all seem to want an American paypal account and the shipping is also quite a hefty addition to the price. I can't order off Japanese sites cause I am a foreigner and I don't really have a way to pay them.

I'd have the same problem in my home country, where the singles market prices are about double what they are in the the American singles market. I have tried ordering from America once with the help of a friend and the package got stuck in the customs and I ended up paying a nice juicy check, cause they figured I was trying to import the cards.

IF I am missing some awesome online site that just doesn't care who is paying through what paypal account or where they need to ship the stuff, please tell me. I would indeed appreciate it. I probably wouldn't stop buying boosters altogether, but I would definitely prefer buying singles.
    Quote from Loath
    One of the things peolpe keep bringing up is "order online" as if it was actually a possibility for everyone.

Right now, I am a foreigner living in Japan. I can't order off American sites cause they all seem to want an American paypal account and the shipping is also quite a hefty addition to the price. I can't order off Japanese sites cause I am a foreigner and I don't really have a way to pay them.

I'd have the same problem in my home country, where the singles market prices are about double what they are in the the American singles market. I have tried ordering from America once with the help of a friend and the package got stuck in the customs and I ended up paying a nice juicy check, cause they figured I was trying to import the cards.

IF I am missing some awesome online site that just doesn't care who is paying through what paypal account or where they need to ship the stuff, please tell me. I would indeed appreciate it. I probably wouldn't stop buying boosters altogether, but I would definitely prefer buying singles.

You live in Japan but you don't have Japanese currency? Can't you get a debit card with a bank or somesuch, to buy online?

And generally speaking, most people are able to order online, so that's the best suggestion we can give.
    Level 1 DCI Judge

I've actually been cutting down on my addiction. Sorted my cards to get rid of playset+ cards, sold off all but one of my standard deck, and I've been getting into EDH so I don't have to try and keep up with the standard card pool. Also, I'm not buying any more cards until the EDH precons or FTV: Legends.
    Standard
    UW Traditional Delver

Legacy
    WURBG 5-Color Zombie Aggro

EDH
    B Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker

Trades
    Hi, my name is Phoenyx and i'm an addict.

everyone: Hi Phoenyx.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes