Magic Toolbox gone from Apple App Store?

I was looking for the Magic Toolbox app on my iPhone because I like to read the reviews every once in a while after the litigation stuff that had been going on, but I couldn't find it. I searched the web for it and found an iTunes link to it, but when iTunes opened up it said it was unavailable. Has anyone heard of the app being removed or has there been any updates to the situation they found themselves in?

twitter.com/bccarlso decks: Rasputin, Chainer, ChildCrusher, Kiki, Maelstrom, Thrax, Zedruu
    I just searched and found the same thing - no "official" app anymore.

This *could* be a preliminary step to releasing an iPad/dual app. They could have also rotted the code so bad they needed to restart.

Or, hopefully, maybe they realized that people were already doing what they were doing and doing it better, and stopped bothering with their crappy offering. I can dream... Wink
    And if I've offended you, I'm sorry, but maybe you need to be offended.

Oh, and I'll probably be gone forever after the site switches to Curse's shell. So whatevers.
    Looks like some other Twitter users found out it was pulled too, possibly a week ago. I think it's still available on the Android. Didn't they say the iPad Duels app isn't out until 2013? Seems like pulling this now would be more than just a preliminary step, but who knows. Yeah, let's just hope they kill their app and let 3rd party ones go back to the way they were.

twitter.com/bccarlso decks: Rasputin, Chainer, ChildCrusher, Kiki, Maelstrom, Thrax, Zedruu
    Quote from bccarlso
    Looks like some other Twitter users found out it was pulled too, possibly a week ago. I think it's still available on the Android. Didn't they say the iPad Duels app isn't out until 2013?
    Actually, DotP 2013 will be available on the iPad, and will drop when DotP does, probably in June.
    Yeah, let's just hope they kill their app and let 3rd party ones go back to the way they were.
    This. I haven't downloaded the update for Decked that shuts off the deck builder. It's an inconvenience because I have to manually update every app, but I love Decked too much to give up. Of course, I may be in trouble when Avacyn Restored comes out, but I'll deal with that then. Wink

Oh, and I'll probably be gone forever after the site switches to Curse's shell. So whatevers.
    Quote from god of cyanide
    Actually, DotP 2013 will be available on the iPad, and will drop when DotP does, probably in June.
    This. I haven't downloaded the update for Decked that shuts off the deck builder. It's an inconvenience because I have to manually update every app, but I love Decked too much to give up. Of course, I may be in trouble when Avacyn Restored comes out, but I'll deal with that then. Wink

I held out on the Decked update for a while but then accidentally updated it and it's still fully functional, your deck is just now called a Buylist and your sideboard is called a Wishlist. So you'd be safe to update for now.

Edit: Didn't realize DotP 2013 was just its name but it was actually coming out this year. I guess that might make more sense then.

I've tried a few apps like this and the official one was the best. Glad I got it before they pulled it.
    Duel Deck casual player | R.I.P.: BitterWeaveUB
    I too recently tried to find the app but got the same message. I don't get it. They say that this is the Official tournament legal app, and they pull it without mention on the mothership.
    They released an update for the app that really messed it up. It made decks and wishlists disappear and the app crashes when you try to look up a card. The guess is they pulled the app from the app store while they are working on fixing all the problems.
    Quote from Naginata
    They released an update for the app that really messed it up. It made decks and wishlists disappear and the app crashes when you try to look up a card. The guess is they pulled the app from the app store while they are working on fixing all the problems.

Or maybe they got a C&D from WotC and they were told to disable those features. Then WotC moved on to Apple and had them pull it from the store...
    Are we talking about the "official" crappy WotC app that everyone hates with a passion, or one of the vastly superior 3rd party ones?
    I was driven from this once-great site by abusive mods and admins, who create rules out of thin air to punish people for breaking them (meaning the rule does not exist under forum rules) and selectively enforce the rules that are written on the forum rules. I am currently lurking while deleting 6 years and 2 months of posting history. I will return when ExpiredRascals, Teia Rabishu and Blinking Spirit are no longer in power.
    Quote from MTGPhreak
    Or maybe they got a C&D from WotC and they were told to disable those features. Then WotC moved on to Apple and had them pull it from the store...

Quote from Solaran_X
    Are we talking about the "official" crappy WotC app that everyone hates with a passion, or one of the vastly superior 3rd party ones?

Magic Toolbox is the official WotC app not a 3rd party app.
    Quote from MTGPhreak
    Um, Naginata was talking about the official WotC app. WotC wouldn't C&D themselves. I think. Wink

bccarlso, thanks for the tip. I'll download the new version shortly. Smileup

Still not available. You'd have thought that fixing a couple of bugs with the resources they have would take 2 days, plus 5 days Apple 'reviewing' it, should be out a week ago :p
    iMtG - Probably the best MTG toolbox app for iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imtg-ii/id736075015?mt=8
    They're clowning it, just like they have been on every single product this past year. SMH sometimes at why I still play this game, given the way its makers can't seem to put one foot in front of the other without tripping over themselves.

Pretty embarrassing that Wizards not only puts out an inferior product to those available for free but also irrevocably breaks it with an update a short time later.
    any word on an update release?
    Nothing. Just get iMtG and Bob's your uncle.
    As much as I hate to say this, I don't own an iPad or the like (never felt a need to). Also, I run a Linux machine, but yet nothing has come out for it that is even remotely useful. Also, last I checked, Ghrom, weren't you sent a C&D letter yourself for iMTG? I recall an issue you brought up previously about such, but don't remember what happened.
    We (almost all devs of decent iOS and Android MTG apps) were indeed sent such letters. Some of gave up, some of us kept fighting / negotiating. As a direct result of the letters we asked the community to let WotC we're not happy about it. Here's the original story: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=389490

This particular action may or may not have affected the fate of the official app. As far as I understand, the app itself was not really meant as a cash cow but rather a PR action, sort of 'we give you a nice mobile toolbox app' for (almost) free. Unfortunately for WotC the app itself turned to be not very good technically, and by coincidence or not the lawyers were sent after existing fan made apps, which was a really bad PR move as far as I'm concerned. There were a couple of updates to the app but rather than fixing it, these were seen as a move to reset the bad reviews. The very last update was so bad that it caused people who upgrade to lose their decks designed in the app. A few days after that update app was pulled from the store.

Fun fact, on my own forum I made April's Fool Day joke which 'predicted' it: http://imtgapp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3601.0

Please note that I'm totally biased and my comments should be read as such.

Going back to what happened with iMtG and others who decided to keep on, we had to change / cripple our apps. I shut down my server which was hosting card scans and switched iMtG to point at Gatherer images, removed all traces of cards from my app store screenshots, changed logo, removed expansion symbols, replaced mana symbols with mine, and so on. I also tried to negotiate with the lawyers / WotC but I was mostly ignored. I should probably see the lack of definitive response from them as a success because what I asked for is that they just let me be - I was arguing that iMtG is not hurting them in any way but rather helping the product - our beloved game.
    it is because wizards bought imtg.

Done by Rivenor!!! Thanks

I vaguely recall such an incident, especially when WotC was getting ready to release their app. I just wanted to make sure that it was still okay, especially considering that I went to click on your link to the Apple App store and it's not there.

I wouldn't mind this being released for a Linux based machine (such as mine), but then again, us Linux users almost always get shut out of the fun stuff. LOL
    Interesting, the link works just fine. Even on linux it should take you to the App Store page without problems.

I used to have linux on my desktop for just over 2 years, it was a fun ride but then I switched to Mac OS X and never looked back.
    Return to Ravnica boosters are shipping with info cards advertising MtG Toolbox, but it's still gone from the app store. Weird.
    Facepalm
    Quote from DYMongoose
    Return to Ravnica boosters are shipping with info cards advertising MtG Toolbox, but it's still gone from the app store. Weird.

Most probably it was printed before they pulled the plug on it. I can't complain, if you look in App Store for 'mtg toolbox' iMtG is what you find :p
    Quote from Ghrom
    Most probably it was printed before they pulled the plug on it. I can't complain, if you look in App Store for 'mtg toolbox' iMtG is what you find :p

Now that's marketing you can't buy! Smile

I'm quite shocked this app went away. I still use it for score keeping, but on an iPhone 5 it could use a face lift.
    Duel Deck casual player | R.I.P.: BitterWeaveUB
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes