What is with Storm Crow?

Is this some sort of magic meme that i missed out on?

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=83282
    Comments include:
    "I own 28 copies of this card. It wins games"

"So.
    Storm Crow beat me in a one-on-one match this evening. True story. Still figuring out how.
    I mean... we were playing SCRABBLE. That card is just way too overpowered if all that's going to be happening"

(in the jace the mind sculptor thread) "Strictly worse than storm crow"

"I just had a frightening thought.
    What happens if you play a Storm Crow on your turn, and your opponent plays a Storm Crow on the next turn? Somehow, I imagine the result being very much like a division by zero. Or two black holes swallowing each other up. Or a triple rainbow that ends in a hail of fire"

"Progenitus is probably the only damn thing I'd trust to deal with the bad boy. But really, they gave the [inappropriate] flying? Progenitus can't do crap before Storm Crow busts a cap in his summoners [inappropriate]"

"I sleep with a stormcrow under my pillow, it keeps me safe"

Please refrain from evading the censor, even if it was a copy-paste.
    -Memnarch
    Last edited by Stille_Nacht: 3/28/2011 10:07:07 PM
    Legacy
    0WUBAffinity0WUB
    GCombo ElvesG
    WUBStonebladeWUB

Modern
    0WUBChapin's Fear(Affinity)0WUB

WGRUKiki Pod (AKA the sexiest deck ever)WGRU

Standard
    RBRakdos AggroBR
    We like to pretend that underpowered cards are absurdly overpowered. Kinda like a meme, yeah.
    Comp Rules

Currently Playing:
    I don't even know right now.
    This thread is strictly worse than Storm Crow.
    Quote from citynoise
    This thread is strictly worse than Storm Crow.

I'd even go so far to say that even Kobolds of Kher Keep is better than this thread.
    Comp Rules

Currently Playing:
    I don't even know right now.
    ...and this is more fitting for Humor.
    Memnarch's Panopticon (Helpdesk)
    [GTC] Gatecrash Patch for MWS (249/249)

Quote from Zephram Cochrane »
    Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Awesome cards are Awesome.

Yes it is a meme
    Looking for trades?
    STORM CROW!!!

when i was 12 (this was shortly after fallen empires was released) i played in a super casual tournament at my local shop. i arrived at the shop that morning with a monster of a mono-blue deck:

etc.

I had 4 empty slots and $10, and i knew i needed an early drop. alas, the store was sold out of flying men!!! Frown

I bought and ran 4 STORM CROW, and took second place in the "tournament" gaining $50 in store credit. first ever tournament, and maybe my happiest one Grin

incidently, i spend that money on an antiquities colossus of sardia and a legends time elemental, only to have them reprinted in 4th ed a year later. ah, those were the days..
    Why exactly is Storm Crow bad? A 1/2 flying for 1U sounds okay.
    Quotes:

Quote from stealthbadger
    I have it on good authority that the Phyrexians are going to win. However, Venser is then going to teleport the whole of New Phyrexia inside the Zendikar Hedrons, leaving the Phyrexians and Eldrazi trapped in an eternal struggle of the mechanics that nobody likes.

The next set will feature both infect and annihilator, and be called Maro'sWetDreamia. It will also feature a new Jace, to ensure that it sells well.

At least it is better than the YGO memes.
    What about the YGO Abridged ones?
    Quotes:

Quote from stealthbadger
    I have it on good authority that the Phyrexians are going to win. However, Venser is then going to teleport the whole of New Phyrexia inside the Zendikar Hedrons, leaving the Phyrexians and Eldrazi trapped in an eternal struggle of the mechanics that nobody likes.

The next set will feature both infect and annihilator, and be called Maro'sWetDreamia. It will also feature a new Jace, to ensure that it sells well.

What about the YGO Abridged ones?

I was referring to the actual card game ones, not YGO:TAS.

Shapesnatch is the most broken monster ever.
    Actually, I thought Chimney Imp, Herbal Poultice, and possibly Razor Boomerang were better suited for this kind of meme.

And about the YGO monster thing: It irritates me to no end when I hear a Magic player refer to a creature as a monster.

My art blog

Claims:
    Innistrad will have at least a Tribal subtheme - proven right October 2011 : 4 rights

The kicker variant in WWK will be "Kicker without a kicked effect." - proven wrong Jan 2010 : 2 wrongs

Decks:
    :symu::symb: Bloodchief Ascension - Modern

:symb::symr: Rakdos, the Defiler - EDH
    :symu::symb::symw: Sharuum the Hegemon - EDH
    :symw::symu::symb: Zur the Enchanter - EDH
    I don't mind the Trap cards meme.

Scornful Egotist might be appropriate, but it's severely undercosted.
    Quotes:

Quote from stealthbadger

Why exactly is Storm Crow bad? A 1/2 flying for 1U sounds okay.
    Attacking for 1 damage really is quite meaningless since it takes 10 fewer turns to win if you attack with something that has 2 power. Concerning the Crow more specifically, it would be better if the extra point of toughness was instead used to give it some useful ability like Soratami Cloudskater.

Quote from Trancebam
    Actually, I thought Chimney Imp, Herbal Poultice, and possibly Razor Boomerang were better suited for this kind of meme.
    Hey hey hey, I had a ZZW draft in which Razor Boomerang performed extraordinarily well for me. I first-pack, first-picked Trusty Machete and ended up going WB. In the third pack, I picked up a Kitesail, a Kitesail Apprentice, and the Razor Boomerang.

Over the course of the three rounds, I killed a Welkin Tern (waaaay better than Storm Crow, btw, except vs Razor Boomerang I guess...) I killed an x/2 with recast trickiness, I gave my Apprentice +1/+1 and flying, and I pinged my opponent for the last 1 damage. (I should say that Plated Geopede also is very easy to snipe with the 'rang.)
    Last edited by Crypt Rat: 4/5/2011 3:09:20 AM
    Contemplations: Panglacial Wurm , Using Morph , White Weenie

>> My Cube << (Red control, Black aggro)
    Quote from Crypt Rat
    Attacking for 1 damage really is quite meaningless since it takes 10 fewer turns to win if you attack with something that has 2 power. Concerning the Crow more specifically, it would be better if the extra point of toughness was instead used to give it some useful ability like Soratami Cloudskater.

Hey hey hey, I had a ZZW draft in which Razor Boomerang performed extraordinarily well for me. I first-pack, first-picked Trusty Machete and ended up going WB. In the third pack, I picked up a Kitesail, a Kitesail Apprentice, and the Razor Boomerang.

Over the course of the three rounds, I killed a Welkin Tern (waaaay better than Storm Crow, btw, except vs Razor Boomerang I guess...) I killed an x/2 with recast trickiness, I gave my Apprentice +1/+1 and flying, and I pinged my opponent for the last 1 damage. (I should say that Plated Geopede also is very easy to snipe with the 'rang.)

No, Razor Boomerang is terrible. Chimney Imp is historically the worst card ever created, and even Chimney Imp deals 1 damage every turn with you only having to pay 5 mana the first turn you cast him. Razor Boomerang needs to be recast every turn.

My art blog

Claims:
    Innistrad will have at least a Tribal subtheme - proven right October 2011 : 4 rights

The kicker variant in WWK will be "Kicker without a kicked effect." - proven wrong Jan 2010 : 2 wrongs

Decks:
    :symu::symb: Bloodchief Ascension - Modern

:symb::symr: Rakdos, the Defiler - EDH
    :symu::symb::symw: Sharuum the Hegemon - EDH
    :symw::symu::symb: Zur the Enchanter - EDH
    Quote from Trancebam
    No, Razor Boomerang is terrible. Chimney Imp is historically the worst card ever created, and even Chimney Imp deals 1 damage every turn with you only having to pay 5 mana the first turn you cast him. Razor Boomerang needs to be recast every turn.
    Except that Razor Boomerang can actually hit utility creatures and provides mana outlet for burn in all colors. This very relevant in limited. I think you could do worse than Chimney Imp too...
    Contemplations: Panglacial Wurm , Using Morph , White Weenie

>> My Cube << (Red control, Black aggro)
    I ran Storm Crow. I ran Screeching Silcaw. They were the same. But then, I found Liquimetal Coating, and all out of a sudden, the Silcaw started milling..! *wipes tears away* It was beautiful.
    My decks: W Ridin' with the Horseys v1.5 | WRG Naya Allies | Trade with me!
    Working on: BRG Next Level Jund - Read this thread on why it's so awesome.

kittybread Prowlin' with the Pack, rawr! kittybread | DMing a Freeform Pulp Campaign - [Stranded in the Rift]
    Check these out: [Haiku Contest] - #4 Bonehoard | Clan [Soundtrack] | Story: Rising Sword
    NLJ Iterations (current):
    Knighti4 | ElP1 | 5am | ElP2 | Hose | 1am | 12am | 2am | 5pm | 6pm | RC1
    when i was 12 (this was shortly after fallen empires was released)...

...I bought and ran 4 STORM CROW

Storm Crow was first printed in Alliances, almost 2 years after Fallen Empires was released...

ゆっくりしていってね!!!
    I don't think chimney imp is the worst card ever printed. It can be used in a 3 card combo to lock the opponent out of the game. But then again, chittering rats makes it look pretty bad
    My favourite line from there is "$75 dollars buys you 1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor or roughly 300 storm crow. If that's not card advantage, I don't know what is..."

Also, this is the real man's 1C Bird. Forget Squadron Hawks. Hahah. Hawks.
    If you're having creature problems I feel bad for you son
    You got 99 attackers but I'm blocking with 1.

The Winner is Judge | 7
    This Winner is Also Judge | 6
    Club Flamingo | Lots

You know nothing. Vizzerdrix FTW!!!
    My casual decks:
    (W/U) Aura (W/U) || (W/B) Exalted (W/B) || U Merfolk U || (R/G) Gruul (R/G) || (G/W) Heroic (G/W)
    WUBRG Sliver GRBUW

Advisor, Ally, Angel, Anteater, Antelope, Ape, Archer, Archon, Artificer, Assassin, Assembly-Worker, Atog, Aurochs, Avatar, Badger, Barbarian, Basilisk, Bat, Bear, Beast, Beeble, Berserker, Bird, Blinkmoth, Boar, Bringer, Brushwagg, Camarid, Camel, Caribou, Carrier, Cat, Centaur, Cephalid, Chimera, Citizen, Cleric, Cockatrice, Construct, Coward, Crab, Crocodile, Cyclops, Dauthi, Demon, Deserter, Devil, Djinn, Dragon, Drake, Dreadnought, Drone, Druid, Dryad, Dwarf, Efreet, Elder, Eldrazi, Elemental, Elephant, Elf, Elk, Eye, Faerie, Ferret, Fish, Flagbearer, Fox, Frog, Fungus, Gargoyle, Germ, Giant, Gnome, Goat, Goblin, God, Golem, Gorgon, Graveborn, Gremlin, Griffin, Hag, Harpy, Hellion, Hippo, Hippogriff, Homarid, Homunculus, Horror, Horse, Hound, Human, Hydra, Hyena, Illusion, Imp, Incarnation, Insect, Jellyfish, Juggernaut, Kavu, Kirin, Kithkin, Knight, Kobold, Kor, Kraken, Lamia, Lammasu, Leech, Leviathan, Lhurgoyf, Licid, Lizard, Manticore, Masticore, Mercenary, Merfolk, Metathran, Minion, Minotaur, Monger, Mongoose, Monk, Moonfolk, Mutant, Myr, Mystic, Nautilus, Nephilim, Nightmare, Nightstalker, Ninja, Noggle, Nomad, Nymph, Octopus, Ogre, Ooze, Orb, Orc, Orgg, Ouphe, Ox, Oyster, Pegasus, Pentavite, Pest, Phelddagrif, Phoenix, Pincher, Pirate, Plant, Praetor, Prism, Rabbit, Rat, Rebel, Reflection, Rhino, Rigger, Rogue, Sable, Salamander, Samurai, Sand, Saproling, Satyr, Scarecrow, Scorpion, Scout, Serf, Serpent, Shade, Shaman, Shapeshifter, Sheep, Siren, Skeleton, Slith, Sliver, Slug, Snake, Soldier, Soltari, Spawn, Specter, Spellshaper, Sphinx, Spider, Spike, Spirit, Splinter, Sponge, Squid, Squirrel, Starfish, Surrakar, Survivor, Tetravite, Thalakos, Thopter, Thrull, Treefolk, Triskelavite, Troll, Turtle, Unicorn, Vampire, Vedalken, Viashino, Volver, Wall, Warrior, Weird, Werewolf, Whale, Wizard, Wolf, Wolverine, Wombat, Worm, Wraith, Wurm, Yeti, Zombie and Zubera

Quote from Trancebam

Are we forgetting Wood Elemental? I'd take Chimney Imp over that tree-troller..

Decks:GU Evolver, W Modern Knights
    U/R mana Apprentice of Spell Manipulation U/R mana
    Tiny Teach Archester: Frontier of Steam Tiny Teach
    That Elemental is a good card, in one of my decks

--------------------
    Also, dude, don't bash the storm crow. You obvi don't understand. I ran this deck at my last casual tournament, and my opponents didn't know what to do:
    Zephynoir's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Lands
    1x Forest

Creatures
    19x Storm Crow

Wincon
    40x Herbal Poultice

They couldn't get out of my regen lock with the crow, it was beautiful. Oh, yeah, the Forest is in there to throw them off. Sneaky, right?!

-----------------------

All seriousness, it's just people making fun of bad cards by talking about how "pro" the card is :xd:

Done by Rivenor of Miraculous Recovery signatures!

Currently Official Cuddle-Lion Wedding Planner of [The Crafters]!

Because I'm not explaining how the cosmos functions while eating. -Jivanmukta
    He doesn't just swing for 1 evasively, he changes the seasons. If your mind isn't blown by that, you don't have a mind to be blown.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes