Archester: Frontier of Steam - DESIGN IS DONE! Starting Development - (Post 3821)

I still think it should cost 4 to upgrade so we can curve off of a mana ring (turn 2 play, turn 3 mana ring, turn 4 upgrade swing). I have a feeling this effect is more powerful than people believe.
    "In the beginning, MTG Salvation switched to a new forum format.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Comic Book Set
    Archester: Frontier of Steam (A steampunk set!)

Quote from Matt Tabak »
    It was at that moment that I realized: I'm kinda just making these things up. We can just write the rules the way we want them to work. People will have fun, and people will get it.

A Good Place to Start Designing
    Ok, I've started work on Black Uncommons, is there any particular way we submit them or do we just post them up here and see?

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

"People with needs have trivial purchasing power while people with purchasing power have trivial needs."
    -Steve Randy Waldman, Interfludity
    just post any ideas you have here on the thread.

Hitmen 4B
    Creature - Human Assassin (U)
    When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target creature.
    "There are only two kinds of people in my world: the kind that can get the job done, and their targets"
    -Tecksa Rend, Maverick Gang (leader?)
    2/2

Alternately, I could see it as a 3/3 if it destroyed a tapped or nonblack creature.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »
    It was at that moment that I realized: I'm kinda just making these things up. We can just write the rules the way we want them to work. People will have fun, and people will get it.

Black Uncommons
    ==============================
    UB01 – Creature, black mana Splinter
    UB02 – (Artifact) Creature, black mana Splinter, 2/B
    UB03 – Creature, U/B mana Group
    UB04 – (Artifact) Creature, U/B mana Group, 2/B
    UB05 – Creature, B/R mana Group
    UB06 – Creature, B/R mana Group
    UB07 – Sorcery, 2/B
    UB08 – Sorcery
    UB09 – Instant, :sym2b:, (Cycle)
    Macabre Taxidermist 2BB
    Creature - Human Artificer
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield. That creature an artifact in addition to it's other types.
    2/2
    Desert Gearbones 2.0 1(2/B)
    Artifact Creature - Skeleton Construct [Uncommon]
    :sym2b:: Return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
    2/1
    Corrupt Inspector 2BB
    Creature - Human Advisor [Uncommon]
    When ~ enters the battlefield, target player discards two cards unless that player discards a land card.
    It's easy. Just sign on the line.
    2/2

Corrupt Inspector 2.0 2BB
    When ~ enters the battlefield, target player sacrifices two permanents unless that player sacrifices a land.
    2/2

Corporate Elite BB
    Creature - Human Advisor (U)
    Intimidate
    Protection from white
    In the Iron City, one learns quickly that the laws to not apply to everyone.
    2/2

Corporate Elite II BB
    Protection from white and from green
    ~ deals combat damage after creatures blocking or blocked by it.
    In the Iron City, one learns quickly that everyone changes the rules and the rules do not apply to everyone.
    2/2
    Corporate Elite 2.0 BB
    Intimidate
    (2/B): Becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.
    In the Iron City, one learns quickly that the laws do not apply to everyone.
    2/1

Steamdealer 2.0 2BB
    Creature - Human Advisor Shaman [Uncommon]
    At the beginning of your precombat main phase, you lose 1 life and add 2 to your mana pool.
    2/2
    Hitmen 4B
    "There are two kinds of people in my world: the ones that get the job done, and their targets."
    --Tecksa Rend, defacto gangleader of the Mavericks

2/2
    UB07 – Enchantment OR Sorcery OR Instant, 2/B
    Reconstruct the Corpse (2/B)(2/B)
    Sorcery [Uncommon]
    Return target artifact creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at end of turn.
    Steam-powered--If only colorless mana was spent to cast ~, return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control instead. It gains haste. Exile it at end of turn.

Brawl in the Boiler Room 2(2/B)
    Sorcery [Uncommon]
    Target creature fights another target creature. The controller of each creature that survives that fight may have target player of his or her choice discard a card.
    (2/B): Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability, but only while ~ is on the stack.
    UB08 – Enchantment OR Sorcery OR Instant
    Dredge the Flats BB
    Sorcery [Uncommon]
    Target player reveals the top five cards of his or her library, puts all land cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard, then shuffles his or her library.

Backroom Dealings 2B
    Enchantment
    Whenever you discard a card, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Smog 1B
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Until end of turn, if a player taps a land for mana, it produces colorless mana instead of any other type.
    UB09 – Sorcery OR Instant, :sym2b:, (Cycle)
    Black Card (2/B)(2/B)(2/B)
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature has haste. Sacrifice that creature at the beginning of the next end step.

Sabotage :sym2b::sym2b::sym2b:
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Creatures target opponent controls get -2/-2 until the end of the turn.
    Steam-Powered- If only colorless mana was spent to cast ~, that player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.
    "Defense mechanisms disabled. Destroy at will."

Sig by Rivenor

Cube. The best way to play Magic. PERIOD. Come over and check it out. Also, check out my Peasant Split Card Cube. I Love It When A Plan Comes Together

The World of Pokemon RPG has been rebooted. Come over and check it out. Psyshiro Duckezawa

Set Creation Projects: We Can Do ItArchester: Frontier of Steam Yar! Come over and check out our AWESOME Steampunk set.

(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)
    Hostile Worker (2/B)
    Artifact Creature-Assembly-Worker
    Intimidate
    Steam-powered-When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice a creature unless only colorless mana was spent to cast ~.
    "They may be a bit messy but they're quite good for taking out rebellious workers"
    -Manufactory owner

2/2

Maverick Overseer 3BB
    Creature-Human Spellslinger
    T, Discard a card: Destroy target creature. If an artifact card was discarded in this way, that creature can't be regenerated.
    3/3

This sig is by the amazing Rivenor
    probably should not have a spell slinger that's very similar to one that already exists. Also probably not a good idea to let a creature just kill everything with no mana cost attached.

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

Cruel Gunner 1BB
    A weathered looking woman specks of red on his jacket stands in a dark Iron City alleyway at night over a body, holding an ingenious steam gun.
    Focus: the smirk peering out from under the brim of her hat.

Creature- Human Warrior
    First Strike, Deathtouch, Lifelink
    2/1

Francium Carrier 2B
    A laughing crazy man runs into a busy street carrying a strange rock towards a fountain.
    Focus: the rock

Creature- Human
    When Francium Carrier dies, all creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn.
    Just a touch of water.
    1/1

Necrotech Prodigies 3B
    four dead men lay before a shovel wielding young blue collar man. There is a cart behind him, with a high class young woman pulling it.
    Focus: The look of love on their faces

Creature- Human Artificer
    Whenever you sacrifice a nontoken permanent, put a 1/1 black zombie token onto the battlefield.
    Their lust for knowledge is as forbidden as their love.
    2/2

Coldheart Extortionist B
    A man carries a traveler's bag out of a house. There are bloodstains on the windows.
    Focus: the bag.

Creature- Human Rogue
    Whenever a player sacrifices a creature, you may pay 1. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Coldheart Extortionist.
    "Your mother died? How tragic..."
    0/1

Smogfire B
    A man lies on a factory floor, green flames licking around his limp body. Other workers are struggling to fix a machine near him, which is spurting smog and throwing bits of green fire.
    Focus: The machine

Sorcery
    As an additional cost to playing Smogfire, exile the top ten cards of your library.
    Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Mana Pollution 2B
    Smokestacks from a factory throwing smog into a huge cloud.
    Focus: the cloud.

Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a permanent. If you do, add 3 to your mana pool.
    A factory may not put mana waste into moving waters or storage containers. The sky is the safest location for any mana waste, as it will quickly disperse and enrich the soil with mana once again.-Iron City Pollution Laws Article 2, Lines 1-2
    Modern
    WSoul SistersW

Commander
    WIsperia the InscrutableU
    WGaddock TeegG
    UTomorrow, Azami's FamiliarU

Archester
    Custom Cube
    A few things i noticed while going through the commons.

We need to decide between Elldaveth's Guard and skyhop. I like guard better

didn't we decide to make pipe leak cost UU and require 2?

I still think animation wires should cost 4 to upgrade. I also don't like the name, but we can discuss that at a later date. (Also, we probably don't have room for flavor text on this one.)

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

Skyhop, I believe so, and better to overcost than undercost. Also, I hope it can keep it.

I think it's fine.
    Last edited by the humanity: 3/31/2012 12:25:24 AM
    Modern
    WSoul SistersW

Commander
    WGaddock TeegG

Archester
    Custom Cube
    woah what are you using to do that? Probably better to use MSE, it's a little more professional looking

Anyway, this is a common, i'd rather not scrunch up the text any more than it already is. It looks fine up big, but when it's closer to actual card size it does get a bit squished.

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

I just used a random card creator, it looks pretty lame but it did the job.

it has one line of text with the flavor text, though Mirrodin was lame and didn't put flavor text on common equipment so who knows.
    Modern
    WSoul SistersW

Commander
    WGaddock TeegG

Archester
    Custom Cube
    You should really download Magic Set Editor. (Unless you're on a mac) it's got good quality and a lot of different features.

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

probably should not have a spell slinger that's very similar to one that already exists. Also probably not a good idea to let a creature just kill everything with no mana cost attached.

You're probably right. Anyway, here are 2 new ideas.

For UB09

Steam Drain (2/B)(2/B)(2/B)
    Sorcery
    Target player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.

Evil idea...

For UB06

Maverick Overseer 2.0 3BB
    T, Discard a card: Untap target Spellslinger. If an artifact card was discarded, untap each other Spellslinger you control.
    2/2

I know it isn't the same as the original card, but 'maverick overseer' just has a nice ring to it.

Also, this fits the name better.
    Last edited by zeke_the_plumber: 3/31/2012 7:36:45 AM

This sig is by the amazing Rivenor
    Quote from MOON-E
    You worded your card in a strange way that made the upgrade ability seem like something that's not upgrade, which is why he was confused

Ah, I see that. My fault for working from an iphone Smile Thanks for seeing what I meant about the untapping.
    Club Flamingo Entries: +50
    Club Flamingo Wins: 1!
    One of the cards I submitted for a DCC that was black was well liked. I'll post it here to see what you guys think.

Traitor in the Ranks 2BB
    Instant
    Put a 2/2 black Human Rogue creature token onto the battlefield under target player's control. It has "Other creatures you control get -1/-1."

Not sure if you guys think it works with this setting; just throwing the idea out there.
    Quote from MOON-E
    You should really download Magic Set Editor. (Unless you're on a mac) it's got good quality and a lot of different features.

on a mac. I used to have MSE on my home computer.
    Modern
    WSoul SistersW

Commander
    WGaddock TeegG

Archester
    Custom Cube
    Black Uncommons
    UB07 – Sorcery, 2/B
    UB08 – Sorcery
    UB09 – Instant, :sym2b:, (Cycle)
    Macabre Taxidermist 2BB
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put target creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield. That creature an artifact in addition to it's other types.
    2/2

Necrotech Prodigies 3B
    four dead men lay before a shovel wielding young blue collar man. There is a cart behind him, with a high class young woman pulling it.
    Focus: The look of love on their faces
    Creature- Human Artificer
    Whenever you sacrifice a nontoken permanent, put a 1/1 black zombie token onto the battlefield.
    Their lust for knowledge is as forbidden as their love.
    2/2

Clock Hunter 2BB
    Creature - Human Rogue
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may destroy target creature. If you do, put all counters from that creature on ~.
    "The elves see a marvel of nature. I see cogs ripe for the taking."
    1/1
    Desert Gearbones 2.0 1(2/B)
    Artifact Creature - Skeleton Construct [Uncommon]
    :sym2b:: Return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
    2/1

Hostile Worker 2/B
    Artifact Creature - Assembly-Worker
    Intimidate
    Steam-powered-When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice a creature unless only colorless mana was spent to cast ~.
    "They may be a bit messy but they're quite good for taking out rebellious workers"
    -Manufactory owner
    2/2

Spring Scavenger :sym2b::sym2b:
    Artifact Creature - Zombie Construct
    Whenever another artifact creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
    A twisted mockery of clockwork beasts, it lurks in the marshes waiting for their cogs to fail.
    2/1
    Corrupt Inspector 2BB
    When ~ enters the battlefield, target player discards two cards unless that player discards a land card.
    2/2

Corrupt Inspector 2.0 2BB
    When ~ enters the battlefield, target player sacrifices two permanents unless that player sacrifices a land.
    2/2

Corporate Elite BB
    Creature - Human Advisor (U)
    Intimidate
    Protection from white
    In the Iron City, one learns quickly that the laws to not apply to everyone.
    2/2

Corporate Elite II BB
    Protection from white and from green
    ~ deals combat damage after creatures blocking or blocked by it.
    In the Iron City, one learns quickly that everyone changes the rules and the rules do not apply to everyone.
    2/2

Cruel Gunner 1BB
    A weathered looking woman specks of red on his jacket stands in a dark Iron City alleyway at night over a body, holding an ingenious steam gun.
    Creature - Human Warrior
    2/1
    Corporate Elite 2.0 BB
    Intimidate
    (2/B): Becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.
    In the Iron City, one learns quickly that the laws do not apply to everyone.
    2/1

Steamdealer 2.0 2BB
    At the beginning of your precombat main phase, you lose 1 life and add 2 to your mana pool.
    2/2

Francium Carrier 2B
    A laughing crazy man runs into a busy street carrying a strange rock towards a fountain.
    Focus: the rock
    Creature- Human
    When Francium Carrier dies, all creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn.
    Just a touch of water.
    1/1
    Hitmen 4B
    "There are two kinds of people in my world: the ones that get the job done, and their targets."
    --Tecksa Rend, defacto gangleader of the Mavericks
    2/2

Coldheart Extortionist B
    A man carries a traveler's bag out of a house. There are bloodstains on the windows.
    Focus: the bag.
    Creature- Human Rogue
    Whenever a player sacrifices a creature, you may pay 1. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Coldheart Extortionist.
    "Your mother died? How tragic..."
    0/1

Kettle of Vultures 4B
    Creature - Bird
    Flying
    Whenever another creature dies, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    4/3
    Maverick Overseer 3BB
    3BB,T, Discard a card: Destroy target creature. If an artifact card was discarded in this way, that creature can't be regenerated.
    3/3

Maverick Overseer 2.0 3BB
    T, Discard a card: Untap target Spellslinger. If an artifact card was discarded, untap each other Spellslinger you control.
    2/2

Snake Oil Salesman B
    Creature - Human Spellslinger
    1, :symtap:, Discard a card: Each opponent discards a card. If you discarded an artifact card this way, each opponent loses life equal to the converted mana cost of the card he or she discarded. Activate this ability only at any time you could cast a sorcery.
    Those who purchase rainwater as pricey "medicine" are the lucky ones.
    1/1

Maverick Enforcer 1BB
    In the foreground the back of a man in a long black overcoat and cowboy hat, past him we say an emaciated cowboy with purple or black smoke rising from him.
    :symb:, :symtap:, Discard a card: Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. If an artifact was discarded this way gain 2 life.
    2/2
    UB07 – Enchantment OR Sorcery OR Instant, 2/B
    Reconstruct the Corpse (2/B)(2/B)
    Sorcery [Uncommon]
    Return target artifact creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at end of turn.
    Steam-powered--If only colorless mana was spent to cast ~, return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control instead. It gains haste. Exile it at end of turn.

Reconstruct the Corpse II :sym2b::sym2b:
    Sorcery
    Return up to one target artifact creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.
    Steam-powered -- If only colorless mana was spent to cast ~, return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield instead. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.

Brawl in the Boiler Room 2(2/B)
    Sorcery [Uncommon]
    Target creature fights another target creature. The controller of each creature that survives that fight may have target player of his or her choice discard a card.
    (2/B): Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability, but only while ~ is on the stack.

Hymnal Box (2/B)(2/B)
    a dark rusty music box is open on a shelf of trinkets. The figure is a perfectly made representation of an elvish dancer in ebony.
    Focus: the rust looks a lot like bloodstains.
    Artifact
    Steam Powered- if only colorless mana was spent to cast Hymnal Box, it enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, target opponent may pay 1. Otherwise he discards 2 cards, then you draw a card for each charge counter on Hymnal Box and sacrifice Hymnal Box.
    The song is beautiful but the meaning painful.
    UB08 – Enchantment OR Sorcery OR Instant
    Dredge the Flats BB
    Sorcery [Uncommon]
    Target player reveals the top five cards of his or her library, puts all land cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard, then shuffles his or her library.

Backroom Dealings 2B
    Enchantment
    Whenever you discard a card, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Smog 1B
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Until end of turn, if a player taps a land for mana, it produces colorless mana instead of any other type.

Smogfire B
    A man lies on a factory floor, green flames licking around his limp body. Other workers are struggling to fix a machine near him, which is spurting smog and throwing bits of green fire.
    Focus: The machine
    Sorcery
    As an additional cost to playing Smogfire, exile the top ten cards of your library.
    Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Mana Pollution 2B
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a permanent. If you do, add 3 to your mana pool.
    A factory may not put mana waste into moving waters or storage containers. The sky is the safest location for any mana waste, as it will quickly disperse and enrich the soil with mana once again.-Iron City Pollution Laws Article 2, Lines 1-2

Traitor in the Ranks 2BB
    Instant
    Put a 2/2 black Human Rogue creature token onto the battlefield under target player's control. It has "Other creatures you control get -1/-1."

"Accidental" Oil Spill 3BB
    Sorcery
    Destroy target non-basic land, that lands controller discards a card for each land card in their graveyard.
    "Of course, the Council will make sure you're compensated in full for ALL your losses." - Andony Carnigig

Cheating at Cards 2B
    A hand holding 5 poker cards, all of them Aces.
    Sorcery
    Until end of turn, whenever you discard a card due to a creature's ability you may exile it instead. At end of turn return all cards exiled this way to your hand.

Three-card Monty B
    Sorcery (U)
    Target opponent chooses two cards in his or her hand, then reveals the rest. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards one of the chosen cards at random.
    UB09 – Sorcery OR Instant, :sym2b:, (Cycle)
    Black Card (2/B)(2/B)(2/B)
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature has haste. Sacrifice that creature at the beginning of the next end step.

Sabotage :sym2b::sym2b::sym2b:
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Creatures target opponent controls get -2/-2 until the end of the turn.
    Steam-Powered- If only colorless mana was spent to cast ~, that player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.
    "Defense mechanisms disabled. Destroy at will."

Steam Drain (2/B)(2/B)(2/B)
    Sorcery
    Target player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life.
    Last edited by Raptor1210: 4/2/2012 7:39:57 PM

Sig by Rivenor

Cube. The best way to play Magic. PERIOD. Come over and check it out. Also, check out my Peasant Split Card Cube. I Love It When A Plan Comes Together

The World of Pokemon RPG has been rebooted. Come over and check it out. Psyshiro Duckezawa

Set Creation Projects: We Can Do ItArchester: Frontier of Steam Yar! Come over and check out our AWESOME Steampunk set.

(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)(U/R)(R/W)(W/U)
    Hymnal Box (2/B)(2/B)
    a dark rusty music box is open on a shelf of trinkets. The figure is a perfectly made representation of an elvish dancer in ebony.
    Focus: the rust looks a lot like bloodstains.

Artifact
    Steam Powered- if only colorless mana was spent to cast Hymnal Box, it enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, target opponent may pay 1. Otherwise he discards 2 cards, then you draw a card for each charge counter on Hymnal Box and sacrifice Hymnal Box.
    The song is beautiful but the meaning painful.
    Modern
    WSoul SistersW

Commander
    WGaddock TeegG

Archester
    Custom Cube
    Quote from Raptor1210
    Macabre Taxidermist 2BB
    2/2
    Karmic Guide & Phyrexian Delver: This effect is rare on a creature, and that this is pretty undercosted.

Quote from Raptor1210
    Cruel Gunner 1BB
    Creature - Human Warrior
    2/1
    Vampire Nighthawk was bad enough in limited. With deathtouch, -0/-2 and losing flying isn't really equivalent to flying. Would be alright as a rare with +0/+1.

Quote from Raptor1210
    Steamdealer 2.0 2BB
    2/2
    This is the B/R mana one, right? I'd rather see the lose 1 life part bleed into red than the add 2 mana into black.

Smog 1B
    Instant [Uncommon]
    Doesn't blue have this as a positive effect, for all players?

Quote from Raptor1210
    Mana Pollution 2B
    Enchantment
    This is red.
    We bled rituals back into black for this set, though always with some kind of trade off (as opposed to the red kind which is usually free. Yes Infernal Plunge exists.)

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

Rituals are never free: they always cost a card. Steamdealer doesn't really have a cost, and Mana Pollution's permanent sacrifice really feels more red than black.
    The timing of Pollution's ability makes it a little useless (also a red kind of thing to do.)
    Yeah i don't like those designs very much either, i was mostly just explaining why they showed up as they did, as opposed to what you would expect out side of this block

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

In other news, Archester is by far the largest thread in the set subforum. Sweet!

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

This set may be a really good set to show some "good" black/red guys as well as "bad" black/red guys. Lots of people who wanted a better life went out west to try their hand, so maybe we could do an "Oil tycoon/Railroad baron" kind of card.
    I think there is too much intimidate in the black uncommons proposals so far. It plays badly with artifact creatures, which we have in spades. Together, original Mirrodin block and Scars block had a grand total of 8 creatures with Intimidate of fear, plus one creature which could potentially gain it (Death-Mask duplicant) and a Intimidate-granting equipment.
    In Scars block, all such cards performed a main function very different from "being a creature with evasion" : reanimation, very relevant damage trigger, mass evasion granting.
    I'm not saying Intimidate has no place in this block, just that it is worse than usual.

Some cards :

UB01
    Clock Hunter 2BB
    Creature - Human Rogue
    When ~ enters the battlefield, you may destroy target creature. If you do, put all counters from that creature on ~.
    "The elves see a marvel of nature. I see cogs ripe for the taking."
    1/1

UB02
    Spring Scavenger :sym2b::sym2b:
    Artifact Creature - Zombie Construct
    Whenever another artifact creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
    A twisted mockery of clockwork beasts, it lurks in the marshes waiting for their cogs to fail.
    2/1

UB05
    Kettle of Vultures 4B
    Creature - Bird
    Flying
    Whenever another creature dies, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    4/3

UB06
    Snake Oil Salesman B
    1, :symtap:, Discard a card: Each opponent discards a card. If you discarded an artifact card this way, each opponent loses life equal to the converted mana cost of the card he or she discarded. Activate this ability only at any time you could cast a sorcery.
    Those who purchase rainwater as pricey "medicine" are the lucky ones.
    1/1

re: specific cards, neither Reconstruct the Corpse nor Brawl in the Boiler Room work as intended.
    In the first case, it's because you have to select an artifact creature target even if you want the steam-powered bonus. It's easily fixed :

Reconstruct the Corpse :sym2b::sym2b:
    Sorcery
    Return up to one target artifact creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.
    Steam-powered -- If only colorless mana was spent to cast ~, return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield instead. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.

However, Brawl in the Boiler Room has the problem that the creatures don't die until SBA are checked, i.e. until after the resolution of the spell. I don't see a clean way to make this card work.
    Last edited by Subbak: 4/1/2012 9:21:24 AM
    I had a hand in

:sym2w::sym2u::sym2b::sym2r::sym2g::sym2w::sym2u::sym2b::sym2r::sym2g:
    We Can Do ItArchester: Frontier of Steam, an awesome Steampunk set. We Can Do It
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes