YMTC 21: Roiling Moors

You Made The Card!

Roiling Moors
    Land (R)
    Roiling Moors enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: Add W or B to your mana pool.
    Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile a creature card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard. If you do, Roiling Moors becomes a copy of that card until end of turn.

How we got here:

Good work everyone! It took us a while, but we got there. I'll try to keep the game moving a bit faster next time, and hopefully we wont have so many 2 round votes (so many ties this time)

Want to be a part of YMTC? You can always find the latest thread in the Custom Card Contests and Games subforum!
    ATTACHMENTS
    • Roiling Moors (Final Legal)
    Last edited by MOON-E: 2/3/2013 8:00:43 PM
    "In the beginning, MTG Salvation switched to a new forum format.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Comic Book Set
    Archester: Frontier of Steam (A steampunk set!)

Quote from Matt Tabak »
    It was at that moment that I realized: I'm kinda just making these things up. We can just write the rules the way we want them to work. People will have fun, and people will get it.

A Good Place to Start Designing
    Congrats all! Nice card!
    I think it's good we took the time needed to sort out close votes with tie breakers. Thanks Moon-E for the time you put into this. I know it can be a hassle sometimes.
    :sympu::nod::sym2g::p:symgu:;):symu::cthulhu::symg::cool2::symug::grin3::sym2u::rolleyes::sympg:
    The Simic: we have glow-in-the-dark milk and self replicating cookies.
    I think it turned out great.

Nice work, everyone.

[SIZE="1"Inkfox Aesthetics by Xen[/SIZE]
    Quote from Galspanic
    girls were a much more addictive hobby [than Magic]
    Now to just get them to print this card sometime.... Smile
    Shouldn't this be in the Card of the Month sub-forum and showcased on the front page?
    :sympu::nod::sym2g::p:symgu:;):symu::cthulhu::symg::cool2::symug::grin3::sym2u::rolleyes::sympg:
    The Simic: we have glow-in-the-dark milk and self replicating cookies.
    Quote from Bazzal
    Shouldn't this be in the Card of the Month sub-forum and showcased on the front page?

Indeed. We should be starting on YMTC 22.

[SIZE="1"Inkfox Aesthetics by Xen[/SIZE]
    Quote from Galspanic
    girls were a much more addictive hobby [than Magic]
    Quote from Bazzal

We asked MOON-E to add the WotC legal stuff you see on the bottom of every card onto the render. We're still waiting.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Quote from Moss_Elemental
    We asked MOON-E to add the WotC legal stuff you see on the bottom of every card onto the render. We're still waiting.

I'll make a sexy HQ render. (~^.^)~ JPG is so 1999! I hope these are acceptable. (Linked from my personal dropbox)
    Last edited by BaconCatBug: 2/2/2013 9:56:13 PM
    Should be updated now. Sorry, I thought that was a "from now on" kinda thing.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »
    It was at that moment that I realized: I'm kinda just making these things up. We can just write the rules the way we want them to work. People will have fun, and people will get it.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/

Card's on the main page. Whenever you're ready, MOON-E.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Wow you guys did a fantastic job, very impressed. This should be real.
    EDH Decks:
    Grimgrin, The Corpse-Born:http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=385449
    So much love for this card....

Die Fools!!!

Looking for a Pokemon RP:

http://pokemonhaven223.proboards.com

Indulge your inner trainer today....
    I dont know, feels a little more blue because the land is turning into a copy of a creature, rather then reanimating the creature like black and white can often do.

But I guess black whites makes some sense... I guess. I dont see this being printed as black white ever however.
    -grey-
    Quote from Grey Aven
    I dont know, feels a little more blue because the land is turning into a copy of a creature, rather then reanimating the creature like black and white can often do.

But I guess black whites makes some sense... I guess. I dont see this being printed as black white ever however.

Populate makes copies, but it's more green white than blue, and we felt the same way here. In retrospect, I guess we could have made it reanimate the creature then exile it, but we started out trying to make a man-land and that's what we ended up with.

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

Very cool card. Doesn't feel blue to me at all. White black or green black seems right to me.

The copy mechanic, imho, is just mechanical, not flavorful. It is to prevent having to animate the creature card meaning you'd gain ETB effects and then you'd also have to tack haste onto the card which is definitely a red ability.

This is very elegant imho.
    Last edited by pwner1: 2/6/2013 4:43:33 PM
    Is it supposed to trigger itself? Seems like an odd detail.

My Cu/be
    420, Peasant, Unpowered
    Specifically facilitated archetypes:
    U Aggro
    Favorite New Card: Illusory Angel

Quote from Humpty_Dumpty
    I could see running it in a ballz cube with fewer fun police cards, but most cubes with a rock/paper/scissors metagame will find this card frustrating.

Quote from Fredo
    What has the world come to, that this sentence even makes sense to me.
    The Peasant Cube Forum

My Cubetutor (draft 20 card packs, 2 packs.)
    This card shouldn't be real... It breaks the colour pie :/

If this was ever used in a deck that didn't use B or W just as a value land then it is bad design imo
    Standard:
    BWG Junk

Modern:
    BWG Junk

Legacy:
    BWG Junk
    Quote from Jain_Mor
    This card shouldn't be real... It breaks the colour pie :/

If this was ever used in a deck that didn't use B or W just as a value land then it is bad design imo

What? I don't get any of the points of your post. How does becoming a creature from a graveyard break the color pie for a land? And besides it is a land, therefore colorless, therefore can do anything (look to artifacts if you don't believe me). Also why would any half-way decent player ever put a B/W land in a non-B/W deck? I mean even the Zendikar man-lands weren't shoved into any color deck, just because you liked the creature it could turn into.
    "Battlecruiser Operational"

Disclaimer:I discuss cards based on my own experiences with MTG. Sometimes I am wrong, other times I am right. I always try to give legitimate reasons to my dislike of cards. Please do so yourself.

Current Standard Deck:
    BWB BW Control/Midrange

Modern Deck:
    BBBMono-Black 8-Rack

Current EDH Decks:
    BWGTeneb's Harvest
    BGRProssh's Dragons
    UBGDamia's Control
    It's a toolbox for creatures out of the graveyard. There are no artifacts that do that, much less the low-low price of free.

The card definitely needs an "if that land is a plains or a swamp" clause.

My Cu/be
    420, Peasant, Unpowered
    Specifically facilitated archetypes:
    U Aggro
    Favorite New Card: Illusory Angel

Quote from Humpty_Dumpty
    I could see running it in a ballz cube with fewer fun police cards, but most cubes with a rock/paper/scissors metagame will find this card frustrating.

Quote from Fredo
    What has the world come to, that this sentence even makes sense to me.
    The Peasant Cube Forum

My Cubetutor (draft 20 card packs, 2 packs.)
    The land triggers itself because it keeps form with all existing landfall triggers. (That's the same reason it doesn't require plains or swamps)

I agree that this card color bleeds a bit, I disagree that it's an unacceptable amount.

Comic Book Set

Quote from Matt Tabak »

Seems much more Blue/Black than White/Black. Cool idea, though.
    My Twitch Account

UWBG Gifts in Modern
    UWBG Control in Standard
    UBG Control in Legacy
    Quote from broodwarjc
    What? I don't get any of the points of your post. How does becoming a creature from a graveyard break the color pie for a land? And besides it is a land, therefore colorless, therefore can do anything (look to artifacts if you don't believe me). Also why would any half-way decent player ever put a B/W land in a non-B/W deck? I mean even the Zendikar man-lands weren't shoved into any color deck, just because you liked the creature it could turn into.

lol the man lands required an activation cost of the appropriate mana, thereby making what we are discussing not possible -.-

and because to a non BW deck it is a colourless land that enters the battlefield tapped and does something unique/useful, similar to Cathedral of War.

I'm just saying if the format was just right I could see a red or green weenie deck using a few of these to make their mid-late game land drops matter with their aggressive 1-2 drops, and that would then be a design failure.

Really if you aren't bothered by that fact then you might as well go all the way out there and make the land tap for colourless.
    Standard:
    BWG Junk

Modern:
    BWG Junk

Legacy:
    BWG Junk
    I'm not sure if i feel this is a good card or a bad one... i feel it could be broken easily but my first critic is that i feel it should say target creature in your graveyard.

That way someone could respond to it, say vile rebirth your creature.

I also think it should remain a land as an additional clause but i guess that one is not a biggie... also it could retain the ability as to be able to change again that way if your opponent is graveyard against you, you could use some trickery... but again not a huge point.

It it remains a land u could potentially tap it for mana, again due to trickery.

Just a few opinions.
    IMO the card is really too strong..
    Maybe it needs more restriction clause on trigger, or drawbacks on mana ability.
    Magic Level 2 Judge
    Currently Playing:
    Standard: Jund Monsters / Esper Control
    Modern: Tarmo-Twin
    Legacy: WUB/g Deathblade
    Quote from Darth MaIak
    Seems much more Blue/Black than White/Black. Cool idea, though.

(I thought this was a real card, pfft noob. lol)
    Congratz winner.
    This comment inspired some ideas in me.
    Name: Undertow
    Art: Crumbling rock statues with barnacles and sea weed in the deep sea
    Spell Text: similar to OP
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes