Hybrid 1-mana guild charms

I thought it'd be interesting to make a cycle of hybrid 1-mana charms for each of Ravnica's guilds.

My design goals were:
    • Constructed playable.
    • Each mode in keeping with its color as well as its guild.
    • Symmetry (and possibly synergy) between the modes.
    Clever observers may notice that it's possible to get both modes if someone has a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben or Sphere of Resistance or somesuch out. This is intentional.

In case anyone's wondering about the names, "furcula" means "wishbone" (a forked thing), and is synonymous to "charm". I'm not really happy with the "say it quickly" test, though, so I'm up for name suggestions, too.

Azorius Furcula W/U mana

Instant

If W was spent to cast Azorius Furcula, exile a permanent you control and return that card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the end step.

If U was spent to cast Azorius Furcula, counter up to one target activated ability.

Dimir Furcula U/B mana

Instant

If U was spent to cast Dimir Furcula, draw a card.

If B was spent to cast Dimir Furcula, each opponent discards a card.

Rakdos Furcula B/R mana

Instant

If B was spent to cast Rakdos Furcula, sacrifice a permanent.

If R was spent to cast Rakdos Furcula, damage can’t be prevented this turn.

Gruul Furcula R/G mana

Instant

If R was spent to cast Gruul Furcula, spells can’t be countered by spells or abilities this turn.

If G was spent to cast Gruul Furcula, target permanent is indestructible this turn.

Selesnya Furcula W/G mana

Instant

If W was spent to cast Selesnya Furcula, put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield

If G was spent to cast Selesnya Furcula, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature.

Orzhov Furcula W/B mana

Instant

If W was spent to cast Orzhov Furcula, you gain protection from the card name of your choice until end of turn.

If B was spent to cast Orzhov Furcula, whenever an opponent would gain life this turn, you gain that much life instead.

Izzet Furcula U/R mana

Instant

If U was spent to cast Izzet Furcula, copy an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost 3 or less. You may choose new targets for the copy.

If R was spent to cast Izzet Furcula, the next time a coin would be flipped this turn, you may instead choose the outcome.

Golgari Furcula B/G mana

Instant

If B was spent to cast Golgari Furcula, return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

If G was spent to cast Golgari Furcula, exile a card from a graveyard.

Boros Furcula :sym:

Instant

If R was spent to cast Boros Furcula, up to one target creature attacks this turn if able.

If W was spent to cast Boros Furcula, up to one target creature can block any number of creatures this turn.

Simic Furcula G/U mana

Instant

If G was spent to cast Simic Furcula, up to one target creature becomes a copy of a creature of your choice until end of turn.

If U was spent to cast Simic Furcula, counter up to one target triggered ability.

I'd love to hear some feedback. In particular, I'd like to hear better ideas for some of the less symmetrical or useful furculas
    It's really weird being forced to choose two different targets whenever you cast some of these, even though only one half actually does anything. I don't know that it's easily fixable short of just being a split card, but it really makes them feel funky.
    Death Vish | High on Crackblade | Ooze the Boss | Long Live the King | Fomori Face Fister
    Brunal Legend | Hazezon First | Cirrhosis of the Sliver | Animar Planet | The Joy of Pain-ting
    These should just be split cards, like fire//ice.

What sigismond said. Being split cards fixes the weird targetting involved without having to resort to "if X was spent to cast" and the "up to" wording.

Simic Furcula A G
    Instant
    Target creature becomes a copy of a creature of your choice until end of turn.
    //
    Simic Furcula B U
    Instant
    Counter target triggered ability.
    Last edited by mondu_the_fat: 7/8/2013 11:37:43 AM

"Sometimes, the situation is outracing a threat, sometimes it's ignoring it, and sometimes it involves sideboarding in 4x Hope//Pray." --Doug Linn

They could be split cards, or you could make them all cost 1H, so that they're a/b/ab triple splits, like Batwing Brume and Cankerous Thirst et al. That also lets you potentially up some of the power levels on the abilities. Or, perhaps there could be some way to let you pay C for one ability, D for the other ability, and CD for both. While typing this, I realized that that's just split cards with fuse. Problem solved.

I think the color abilities should be switched on the Izzet and Golgari ones.

I don't get the black ability on the Rakdos one. Maybe it needs to explicitly say "You sacrifice a permanent" but if that's what you want it to do, the player should get some benefit from that, at least drawing a card or something.

The Boros one is very weak. They always try to print cards like that, but they're never remotely playable even in limited.

The green ability on the Simic one is very very strong, more than one mana. Cytoshape was a rare, cost three mana, and had an additional restriction to non-legendary creatures. This ability isn't meant to cost a single green mana.
    Quote from Sigismond0
    It's really weird being forced to choose two different targets whenever you cast some of these, even though only one half actually does anything.

Which ones in particular? I thought I worded all of them so that you wouldn't have to choose any pointless targets.

Quote from mondu_the_fat
    These should just be split cards, like fire//ice.

That would be the sensible thing to do, but I don't get paid enough for that.

you could make them all cost 1H, so that they're a/b/ab triple splits, like Batwing Brume and Cankerous Thirst et al.

Could, but I'd have to re-do pretty much all of them to make them worth 2 mana.

that's just split cards with fuse. Problem solved.

Hmm... That would not be as dull as regular split cards. I could do that, though I'd need to try even harder to get synergy. I guess I got so hung up on the "1-mana hybrid" thing that I completely overlooked the obvious.

I think the color abilities should be switched on the Izzet and Golgari ones.

That would make it blue coinflip and green Disentomb. I agree that the red and black abilities might have been either color.

I don't get the black ability on the Rakdos one. Maybe it needs to explicitly say "You sacrifice a permanent" but if that's what you want it to do, the player should get some benefit from that, at least drawing a card or something.

Sometimes you just want to get rid of something. But... yeah, extremely narrow.

The Boros one is very weak. They always try to print cards like that, but they're never remotely playable even in limited.

This one has a lot more flexibility than the usual ones. But yeah, still weak.

The green ability on the Simic one is very very strong, more than one mana. Cytoshape was a rare, cost three mana, and had an additional restriction to non-legendary creatures. This ability isn't meant to cost a single green mana.

I disagree. For starters, Cytoshape is not Constructed material. It sees no play except in the most casual of decks. Moreover, the legend rule is about to change.

Actually, the Simic abilities are both blue. Hmm...
    Quote from Xyx
    I disagree. For starters, Cytoshape is not Constructed material. It sees no play except in the most casual of decks. Moreover, the legend rule is about to change.

Just because Cytoshape wasn't constructed playable doesn't mean you can hack 1U off the cost and also give it the ability to counter triggered abilities by paying blue instead. Cytoshape is a very good combat trick in limited, especially in Simic due the the amount of +1/+1 counters. Heck, in Dissension Cytoshape was pretty much a straight up Simic kill spell simply because you could turn any of your opponents creatures into a graft dude.
    Hmm... That would not be as dull as regular split cards. I could do that, though I'd need to try even harder to get synergy. I guess I got so hung up on the "1-mana hybrid" thing that I completely overlooked the obvious.

I understand that making them fuse split cards does change the overall design a reasonable amount, but I wouldn't have suggested it unless I thought that most of them would port instantly and reasonably well in terms of power level. Most one-mana instant/sorcery effects are worth slightly less than a full card, so getting the flexibility to get another effect for another mana justifies playing them more.

That would make it blue coinflip and green Disentomb. I agree that the red and black abilities might have been either color.

I think that an ability to control the next coinflip is actually more blue than red, because red likes to create chaos, not control it. Blue would be calculating and manipulating time and space to remove randomness.

Green does get Disentomb, actually. Deadwood Treefolk, Evolution Charm, Genesis, Nature's Spiral, Paleoloth, and most significantly and recently Wildwood Rebirth.
    Quote from Shadowfate
    Just because Cytoshape wasn't constructed playable doesn't mean you can hack 1U off the cost and also give it the ability to counter triggered abilities by paying blue instead.

I'd think not being Constructed playable means exactly that, but I agree that it shouldn't be Terminate for G just because it happens to be in an environment with some 0/0 critters. What if it could only affect your own stuff?

I understand that making them fuse split cards does change the overall design a reasonable amount, but I wouldn't have suggested it unless I thought that most of them would port instantly and reasonably well in terms of power level. Most one-mana instant/sorcery effects are worth slightly less than a full card, so getting the flexibility to get another effect for another mana justifies playing them more.

Yeah, and I'm going to give it a shot. I think fuse is one of the coolest mechanics of the past few years, provided there's synergy between the halves.

Anyone know of a good MSE template for fuse cards?

I think that an ability to control the next coinflip is actually more blue than red, because red likes to create chaos, not control it. Blue would be calculating and manipulating time and space to remove randomness.

Good point.

Green does get Disentomb, actually. Deadwood Treefolk, Evolution Charm, Genesis, Nature's Spiral, Paleoloth, and most significantly and recently Wildwood Rebirth.

Also a good point.

I'll see if I can overhaul these babies into fuse cards.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes