Cipher

A lot of the flavor of Cipher was supposed to be the delivering of messages and secrets and I felt that it wasn't conveyed too well. That mixed with the overall low power level of the cards left some people wanting more.

Looting U
    Sorcery [C]
    Draw a card, then discard a card.
    Cipher

Perfect Information 1U
    Sorcery [U]
    Look at the top card of each player’s library. You may put any number of those cards into its owner's graveyard.
    Cipher

Preempt 1UU
    Instant [U]
    Choose one — Counter target spell; or counter the next spell cast this turn.
    Cipher

Repeat Message 1UU
    Instant [R]
    When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
    Cipher

Contract Disease 2BB
    Sorcery [U]
    Creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn.
    Cipher

Hexing Words 1BB
    Sorcery [U]
    Remove all counters from target permanent.
    Cipher

Notice of Termination 1B
    Sorcery [C]
    Each player sacrifices a creature.
    Cipher
    Don't kill the messenger.

Extraction UB
    Sorcery [U]
    Search target player’s library for a card and exile it. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
    Cipher

Insider Trading 2UB
    Sorcery [R]
    Search target player’s library for a card, then that player shuffles his or her library and puts that card on top.
    Cipher

Cost of Success 3UUBB
    Sorcery [M]
    As an additional cost to cast Cost of Success, sacrifice a creature.
    Take an extra turn after this one.
    Cipher
    Oh, what's that you say, Karn? You remove poison counters? You should tell that to Mr. Rosewater.
    Oh man... All these are looking borderline broken... I like XD

The ones that involve sacrificing seem okay, you'd have to avoid spamming it as you'll end up having to sac the cipher target himself. Still, the Looting one doesn't seem in flavor for U/B and most of these cards seem extremely powerful. Hexing Words and Perfect Information seem like the best. Cipher to me is all about small incremental advantages that kill your opponent out of nowhere, rather than a big flashy effect you can keep doing and doing.
    Quote from Izuki

As far as dragons are concerned, doesn't Niv Mizzet semi-regularly make idiotic clone dragons so the people of Ravnica can see how amazing he is in comparison?
    Looting -- Approved.

Perfect Information -- Meh. When you're getting through each turn, fatesealing gets annoying and not that useful.

Preempt -- See Erayo's Essence for wording. Not a fan of weird templating to achieve something not very exciting.

Repeat Message -- Love it. Could/probably should be a sorcery (for power level reasons).

I like all the monoblack ones.

Extraction -- There is a special place in hell for people who search a library every turn for no real gain (as you need to nab multiple cards with this for it to feel good about it).

Insider Trading -- Better, at least it does something. I'd still cut down the shuffling and go with a scry effect instead.

Cost of Success -- I like how the creature sac is there to make it not broken, but my first thought was that it's there to make it black. 5UB?

Quote from Svennihilator

Looting U
    Sorcery [C]
    Cipher

Simple idea but I reckon this should be 2 mana when compared to other Ciphers.

Quote from Svennihilator

Perfect Information 1U
    Sorcery [U]
    Look at the top card of each player’s library. You may put any number of those cards into its owner's graveyard.
    Cipher

When looking into Dimir style mechanics myself I played around with sort of idea but it proved troublesome. Early repeatable fate sealing can be annoying. Imagine an opponent just missed their third land drop. You could use this to restrict him or her drawing lands for the rest of the game making their lives miserable.

Quote from Svennihilator

Preempt 1UU
    Instant [U]
    Cipher

Shouldn't be strictly better than cancel. Look again at Mental Vapors and Last thoughts for costing. The post cipher effect is still really strong as it can prevent your opponent countering spells you cast during your second main phase.

Quote from Svennihilator

Repeat Message 1UU
    Instant [R]
    When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
    Cipher

Again underpriced and Ciphers shouldn't be instants.

Quote from Svennihilator

Contract Disease 2BB
    Sorcery [U]
    Cipher

I can buy into this one, mainly because it can't be abused by Invisible Stalker. Terrible in the same deck as Call of the Nightwing though.

Quote from Svennihilator

Hexing Words 1BB
    Sorcery [U]
    Cipher

Notice of Termination 1B
    Sorcery [C]
    Cipher

I think these work quite nicely, universal effects which don't always want to be triggered is what Cipher needed more of to keep the costs down.

Quote from Svennihilator

Extraction UB
    Sorcery [U]
    Search target player’s library for a card and exile it. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
    Cipher

Slowly lobotomising someone feels annoying and quite time consuming considering I have to search and shuffle each time to remove a single card. In limited this effect would probably be OP (you're essentially removing most bombs with only a few hits).

Quote from Svennihilator

Insider Trading 2UB
    Sorcery [R]
    Search target player’s library for a card, then that player shuffles his or her library and puts that card on top.
    Cipher

Again a bit too time consuming to be doing this turn after turn and could be too strong at it's current cost.

Quote from Svennihilator

Cost of Success 3UUBB
    Sorcery [M]
    Cipher

This + any repeatable token producer is just take all the turns until the end of game. Too easy to break and thus not printable.
    Quote from Svennihilator
    Looting U
    Sorcery [C]
    Cipher

An adequate base line. I think this is what many people expected to see as the spell with cipher at converted mana cost 1. It should be noted that cipher is cost in such a way that it seems the effect is expected to happen about two-three times; this would be once for casting and one-two times more by attacking.
    By that standard this is a little over the curve.
    Perfect Information 1U
    Sorcery [U]
    Cipher

This is deceptively powerful.
    Preempt 1UU
    Instant [U]
    Cipher

I always like countering my own spells! Frown Just avoid this one.
    I also am quite certain this one would be misplayed a lot.
    Repeat Message 1UU
    Instant [R]
    Cipher

This one is a little cheap, but otherwise nice. Actually if it had the exact text of Twincast it still would be a nice twist with other cipher spells and fit the cost potentially better - I'd like it more than Trait Doctoring.
    Contract Disease 2BB
    Sorcery [U]
    Cipher

This one sells itself through its pun.
    Hexing Words 1BB
    Sorcery [U]
    Cipher

In the block not too useless. Wouldn't we get "nonland" these days?
    Notice of Termination 1B
    Sorcery [C]
    Cipher

Cheap black cipher spells were missing from the block. This is far weaker than comparable spells of the past since you cannot combine it well with an empty board.
    This is counterbalanced by your aggressive cost though.
    Extraction UB
    Sorcery [U]
    Cipher

Damn is that card annoying to play with/against. I like the idea, but the repeatability is nothing you want with that effect.
    Insider Trading 2UB
    Sorcery [R]
    Cipher

Interesting choices.
    Cost of Success 3UUBB
    Sorcery [M]
    Cipher

Tacking on the additional cost to make an effect that otherwise would not fit to the mechanic possible is not the crowning moment of design.
    I'd skip this one - it doesn't look attractive enough to be a choice mythic rare anyway.

---

I see the "message" flavor didn't make it all the way through with your cards either.
    Planar Chaos was not a mistake neither was it random. You might want to look at it again.

[thread=239793][Game] Level Up - Creature[/thread]
    Quote from MajoraX
    The explanation is simple: mortals trample; Gods annihilate.

Factions: Sleeping
    Remnants: Valheim
    Legendary Journey: Heroes & Planeswalkers
    Saga: Shards of Rabiah
    Legends: The Elder Dragons
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes