Black enchantment/artifact removal

Invasive Taint 1B
    Enchantment - Aura {C}
    Enchant Artifact of Enchantment
    Enchanted permanent gains "During your upkeep, pay 3 life or sacrifice this permanent."
    Artifice or aura; all can be tainted, all can crumble.

Thoughts, opinions? Other directions this could go?
    try { gumOnShoe.cardCollection(); /*See more by me.*/ } catch(ThinkOfTheGameException e) {
    if (gumOnShoe.isAwesome()==42) { gumOnShoe.win();}
    else { System.out.println("I just lost the game."); gumOnShoe.lose(); }
    }
    curse artifact is 4cc, only hits artifacts, and only deals 2 damage. Warp artifact is BB and only deals 1 damge.

They're from the Dark and Alpha. The fact that the design was never again revisited is telling.

Should cost higher, and exclude enchantments.

"Sometimes, the situation is outracing a threat, sometimes it's ignoring it, and sometimes it involves sideboarding in 4x Hope//Pray." --Doug Linn

Quote from mondu_the_fat
    They're from the Dark and Alpha. The fact that the design was never again revisited is telling.

Should cost higher, and exclude enchantments.

Perhaps they were never played because their costs were prohibitive and limiting? Also, enchanting both artifacts and enchantments was not easily done then or something to be thought of.

Mana costs for effects have changed drastically over the course of the game. This is on par with disenchant... but flavored clearly for black...
    try { gumOnShoe.cardCollection(); /*See more by me.*/ } catch(ThinkOfTheGameException e) {
    }
    No one mentioned wether or not they were played, it was that they were never redesigned. And it's too easy to get rid of a Dark Tutelage or a Necropotence or whatever with this. I'd accept it if it was enchanted blah blah you don't control.
    Currently Playing:

Standard
    Nowt

Modern
    GWU Next Level Blue

Legacy
    UW Mono-U Control

Commander
    BGW Ghave
    (developing)
    UBG The Mimeoplasm
    WUBRG Horde of Notions
    Quote from gumOnShoe
    This is on par with disenchant... but flavored clearly for black...

Therein lies the problem. And flavor is not everything.

Similarly, consider a card like this:

Burning Aura 1R
    Enchantment - Aura (C/U?)
    Enchant enchantment
    At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted enchantment's controller, CARDNAME deals 3 damage to that player unless he or she sacrifices that enchantment.

That card has red flavor and is overall much slower and conditionally worse than Demystify, but red would still never get a card like that (even ignoring the fact that it is too mechanically clunky).
    I like the idea of black being able to curse artifacts or enchantments though. Just not so efficiently or being able to cause its destruction.

Relic Putrefaction is a good card, for example. It cant destroy the artifact, but it can make it seem cursed.

I think this would be more black:

Bloodrunes 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant artifact or enchantment
    Enchanted permanent loses all abilities. Its controller may pay 2 life to ignore this effect until end of turn.
    Quote from silvercut
    Therein lies the problem. And flavor is not everything.

Of course it isn't everything, but it is something. I'd be fine seeing the card cost 1BB as well. Its along the lines of Dash Hopes as I described above, but recurs since its effecting a permanent.

Black has had a history of spreading & corrupting flesh. It'd make sense for black to have this ability on metal & magic as well. And it wouldn't be particularly game breaking. It is not hard to splash for disenchant or naturalize to destroy your own enchantments, but no one does that.

That card has red flavor and is overall much slower and conditionally worse than Demystify, but red would still never get a card like that (even ignoring the fact that it is too mechanically clunky).

But this makes almost no sense because the destroy effect doesn't feel red. I'd be fine seeing red enchantment removal as well, but I'd probably have it like this, reworded for consistency & brevity:

Overload Aura 1RR

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Enchantment

Enchanted permanent gains "cumulative upkeep 1"
    Enchanted permanent gains "When this is put into a graveyard from play, this deals 1 damage to its controller for each time counter that was on it."
    }
    You still haven't adressed the fact that black can use this to kill its own enchantments. Just one way to do it is all it needs, and you ruin a whole portion of black's pie. At the moment, there is no easy, mono-black way to kill enchantments. I think it should stay that way.
    Currently Playing:

Standard
    Nowt

Modern
    GWU Next Level Blue

Legacy
    UW Mono-U Control

Commander
    BGW Ghave
    (developing)
    UBG The Mimeoplasm
    WUBRG Horde of Notions
    There are zero black Auras with enchant permanent or enchant enchantment and only four black Auras with enchant artifact:

Artifact Possession - AQ
    Curse Artifact - DK
    Relic Bane - MI
    Relic Putrescence - SoM
    Warp Artifact - B

Only Curse Artifact gives the option to sacrifice the enchanted artifact. There are a few other cards that allow black to interact or even remove artifacts, but they are weak to say the least.

Black's interaction with enchantments is pitiful to say the least and includes gems like Gloom and Irini Sengir (seriously, those are the gems because that's all black has.) I don't see black eliminating enchantments in reality or fantasy and hope it never does as the restriction is one of the last bastions of color pieurity.

Quote from Fumar

Bloodrunes 1B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant artifact or enchantment
    Enchanted permanent loses all abilities. Its controller may pay 2 life to ignore this effect until end of turn.

You asked "Other directions this could go?" I think Fumar got it right. This I can get behind.

I care less about us making mistakes that lead to degenerate environments than I am when we don’t push ourselves and make something that’s boring to play. - MaRo

Quote from lifeinsepia
    You still haven't adressed the fact that black can use this to kill its own enchantments. Just one way to do it is all it needs, and you ruin a whole portion of black's pie. At the moment, there is no easy, mono-black way to kill enchantments. I think it should stay that way.

Black has plenty of sacrifice outlets, especially in the areas where the cards you mentioned are a problem. I highly doubt people running cards like the above would bother to put this card in just to deal with possible life loss. They generally expect to lose the life.

Then there's Drinker of Sarrow, Forbidden Ritual, Greater Harvester, Hellcarver Demon, Infernal Tribute, Kaervek's Spite, Lich, Oath of Lim-Dûl, Phyrexian Negator, Priest of Yawgmoth, Reprocess, Time Sieve (Yes focus on artifacts, but the only black part of the card is the sac effect), Yawgmoth Demon (same deal).

Granted there's nothing that specifically interacts with enchantments, but you could give enchantments that you want to be permanent shroud and be done with it.

You asked "Other directions this could go?" I think Fumar got it right. This I can get behind.

I'd be happy with this as well.
    Last edited by gumOnShoe: 3/8/2011 3:36:33 PM
    }
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes