Overreaction

Overreaction 1R
    Instant (U)
    Trigger target creature triggered ability.

Is this even possible, ruleswise?
    Possible or not, what do you think about this kind of effect? Should it be more expensive? Could it trigger all the creature abilities?

And something like:

Chained Overreaction ??
    Sorcery (R)
    Trigger all creatures triggered abilities
    doesn't seem to be any reason why it can't work. Things that can't happen won't.
    I'm not sure if "trigger" is an action defined in the comprehensive rules or not.
    The problem with this a spontaneous trigger that it's like having an activated ability with no legal targets on the stack, except that there's no fizzling it. To illustrate it with an example, what happens if I cast this on a Flame-Kin War Scout?

Flamingo [Clan Flamingo] Tier Archivist Flamingo

[15:21] <@CC> Remember, if you argue, you are an idiot.

Untrophied Wins:
    • MecCC I
    • MTGS Design Idol 2011 (Season 2), 2012
    • April 2012 DCC
    • Choose your Own Adventure (January 2013 CFG)

Perfect MCC Scores: 2

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from k-rad
    Quote from Sir Aureus
    There's a reason that Ixidron says "nontoken".
    Because a Saproling being flipped into a pro player is super tech?
    It could just have it say that if there are no legal target(s) or such that nothing happens.
    "You were lucky Death was here to save you this time!"
    The same thing that would happen if I evoked a mulldrifter.
    What happens if I use this on an intervening-if-clause ability like Felidar Sovereign's?
    It'll get to the if and check whether the condition is met or not, just as usual. The only thing it will skip is the "whenever ...," bit.

Untrophied Wins:
    • MecCC I
    • April 2012 DCC

Quote from k-rad
    Quote from Sir Aureus
    If the condition was never met, as with all other intervening ifs, why was the trigger ever allowed to reach the stack in the first place?

In summary, Pools of Becoming is dumb.
    Intervening if clauses can easily fail like that if the "if" condition is true when the abillity went on the stack, but becomes false by the time the time the ability resolves.

Take Akuta, Born of Ash. If, at the beginning of your upkeep, you have more cards in hand than each opponent, its ability will trigger from the graveyard and go on the stack. However, if an opponent draws cards while the ability is on the stack, and you no longer have the most cards in hand when it resolves, the ability will not do anything because its intervening if clause is no longer met.

Intervening if clauses are similar to Santa Clauses in that they always check twice.
    And if the check is never true to begin with, why is the ability ever allowed to touch the stack?
    It shouldn't be, to my knowledge. Is there a ruling on Pools of Becoming that says otherwise? If so I'm not aware of it... I'll admit I'm not really up to date on rules regarding things from Planechase.
    Quote from SadisticMystic
    And if the check is never true to begin with, why is the ability ever allowed to touch the stack?

Because this card says it is.
    Quote from SadisticMystic
    In this case, because it might become true before it resolves. Grin
    Learn more about MTGS Uranium here | Discount Taxidermy and Barbeque (otherwise known as my helpdesk)
    (Probably NSFW) So you may have heard I'm trying to write a TV series...
    Trophy Most Nominated for Random Categories, 2013 Trophy
    What I'm worried about is, are triggered abilities on cards objects? Are they even targetable? I know they are on the stack (Voidslime), but what about just on the battlefield?
    Currently Playing:

Standard
    Nowt

Modern
    GWU Next Level Blue

Legacy
    UW Mono-U Control

Commander
    BGW Ghave
    (developing)
    UBG The Mimeoplasm
    WUBRG Horde of Notions
    Quote from lifeinsepia
    What I'm worried about is, are triggered abilities on cards objects? Are they even targetable? I know they are on the stack (Voidslime), but what about just on the battlefield?
    Presumably yes to both. Cards like Quicksilver Elemental imply that individual activated abilities are objects (and therefore are targetable - though whether or not shroud on a permanent carries over to abilities on it...), so the same should be true for triggered abilities.
    Learn more about MTGS Uranium here | Discount Taxidermy and Barbeque (otherwise known as my helpdesk)
    (Probably NSFW) So you may have heard I'm trying to write a TV series...
    Trophy Most Nominated for Random Categories, 2013 Trophy
    Quote from lifeinsepia

I think only activated abilities can be targeted. However I don't see any reason why triggered abilities shouldn't be targetable.
    Last edited by hyperwater: 1/22/2011 7:35:01 AM
    Quote from Woohah
    Green - Imagine hippies, except they're all the Hulk.

Pretty much sums up why I like green so much Smile

On the internet, everywhere is Soviet Russia[/QUOTE]
    Pools of Becoming probably has the best (and only, to my knowledge) wording for this sort of effect.
    Instant 1U
    Target permanants enter the battlefield trigger resolves again.
    Quote from Igginator
    Instant 1U
    Target permanants enter the battlefield trigger resolves again.

Why not just flicker it?

Untrophied Wins:
    • MecCC I
    • April 2012 DCC

Quote from k-rad
    Quote from Sir Aureus
    For the "IF"s in magic. :p I feel like this should be a commercial of some sort....
    Just make it target a permanent, then trigger all that permanents triggered abilities. You may want to have reminder text explaining what makes an ability "triggered".

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

"People with needs have trivial purchasing power while people with purchasing power have trivial needs."
    -Steve Randy Waldman, Interfludity
    Quote from l00ke00
    Just make it target a permanent, then trigger all that permanents triggered abilities. You may want to have reminder text explaining what makes an ability "triggered".

I like this way of going about it. Do this.
    Quote from Woohah
    Green - Imagine hippies, except they're all the Hulk.

Pretty much sums up why I like green so much Smile

On the internet, everywhere is Soviet Russia[/QUOTE]
    With the suggestions above, what about

Overreaction 1R
    Instant
    Target permanent triggered abilities trigger.
    (Abilities beginning with the word “when,” “whenever,” or “at” are triggered abilities)

I think there's no need of reminding that before resolving it checks whether the condition is still met, and if it isn't it is removed from the stack and does nothing. Thanks for the discussion! what would be an appropiate cost?
    I like 1R, I've been trying to think of cards this would be broken with and I can't find any in standard. Legacy it will probably be auto banned though. I dont know but i assume in 20 years of cards there is a card with a triggered ability that either says "you win the game" or just about.

Still, screw legacy sometimes you can't let it hold you back.

I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.

"People with needs have trivial purchasing power while people with purchasing power have trivial needs."
    -Steve Randy Waldman, Interfludity
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes