[Official] Altered Art Thread (56k Beware)

Quote from Zoreia

I have one last question though! What do you guys use as a finish over the paint? I've been told to make sure I do that and we bought some spray finish that works well, but it STINKS SO BAD! I know the smell will probably go away, but I'm going to be selling some of these (as I get better and stuff) and would like a spray that doesn't stink. It's a glossy finish and I'd like a spray on finish so that it won't ruin any paint job I've done. Any ideas? ;^^

Get a good matte spray. It stinks very little, dries near instantly, and looks the same in a sleeve anyway.

Gallery
    PM me for Commissions

GBU The Mimeoplasm Combo EDH
    Quote from Zoreia
    But I HAVE noticed that the more water I use, the more times I have to re-paint over something.

Well that's just a natural thing. The more water you add, the less pigments will be in your mixture, requiring you to paint more layers. What BWS means is that for every specific type of paint there is an ideal mixture of paint and water that is ideal for altering and will results in flat paint layers.

The formula "as much water as possible" simply doesnt hit the point...

Check out my gallery of altered cards

Facebook

Legacy:
    :symg::symw: Enchantress

Hey all. I haven't posted in quite some time! ( a month or so probably)... thought i'd share a couple recent commissions.

the solemn is referenced from the Disney movie Wall-E. The snapcaster is the character Mirror Kirby from the Kirby video game series.
    Hi there. Here we go with my last commission:

Yurius MTG alters on FB
    Alterations portfolio
    My alters on Ebay
    I accept any kind of commission -> yuriusalters @ gmail.com
    Some new stuff.

Karin Dreijer Andersson aka Fever Ray on a Graveborn muse (reference can be found here):

Relentless Rats pt 2:
    @Ondal

Even though I'm usually really not a fan of popculture references on alters...
    this one hits a weak spot, I love Fever Ray, the image fits too well, and then there is the flavour text...love it.
    The rats are awesome and go really well with the yellow set you posted sometime earlier. Is there going to be another set of primary color themed rats to complete the ensemble? I assume they're all destined for one deck?

@Zoreia
    You're off to a good start. If your goal is to paint your own artwork on the cards, I'd recommend you to just go ahead with it. I started out with exactly the same mindset but ended up being bored by the extensions and lost motivation to go on for a long time. I'm still relatively inexperienced and got a long way to go in terms of technique, but I like to think that I learn something with each card. Just go ahead and paint and don't be discouraged by failures.
    Last edited by Aeontropy: 3/15/2012 5:49:29 PM
    Can I please get some advice from some of the amazing artists in here?

I'm just starting out, and I'm using Golden Fluid Acrylics, which I've heard are among the best you can use. But I've got a few problems:

I can't figure out the balance between paint and water - it seems like my paint is either too thick or too thin no matter how slowly I increase my amount of water.

I also keep getting little grains stuck in my paint somehow. I don't know what this is and it is really frustrating me. Is it pigment or something? I've tried cleaning my brushes, palette, and card to make sure it isn't dust or something, but I can't get rid of these little tiny bumps.

How do I make the paint transitions look so smooth? Not in terms of color matching, but in making it not look like paint. No matter what I do I can always tell it is paint and not card, and some people make it seem so easy.

What am I doing wrong here? I really want to get into altering but this is frustrating me to no end. Do I need matte medium or something?
    @Shattuck

I don't claim to be an awesome artist however I have been struggling along side of you with these things and might offer some advice to help you along your artistic journey.

Consistency: For myself I tend to find a good middle ground for opaque coverage where the paint spreads smoother than without water but keeps its opacity.(does that make sense?) Not to say its watered down (transparent) form doesn't have its merit in toning and tinting.I would put that at a much more thin and transparent level for that.
    Grain Clogging: Ahh ive had this happen many a time, I'm not quite sure what it is exactly. Either it is the pigment separating from the binder (in that case I suggest using Distilled water), paint coagulating to a clumpy state, perhaps your pallet is dirty or has fibers that are sticking to the paint/brush?
    Blending: This one can get tricky, I haven't quite mastered this one by any means myself, though lots of water added to the paint and finger tapping (while the paint is still wet) create wonderful effects that defuse and saturate sharp, stark lines and transitions.

I hope those help, oh and (I work at an art supply store) I test many items and have found GAC-500 to be an excellent product to extend your hard-to-mix colors so you have more to work with, also Holbein makes an Acrylagouche that is out of this world awesome if you are looking for premixed colors (their color selection is incredible!) at a middle-high price.
    @Shattuk: About the small particles you noticed in the paint, those are just small particles of dry paint (probably from the borders of the paint.) It is normal and you just need to remove them with the brush during the painting process (you'll get used to do it, I promess.) Just try to keep your paints wet enough. depending of how much time that small portions of paint were dry, you will be able to disolve them back with the brush or not.

About how to make your brushstrokes look like an extension of the original artwork, well, that's just learning to thin the paint to the right point and to move the pencil the right way over the surface. Unfortunately, this is learned through time with patience and your own experience.

NOTE: I'm not a great artist... Yet. :p
    *** My Helpdesk ***

Take a look at my altered art gallery! (NOW taking comissions!)
    MTGS Art Contests are in recess until further notice.
    TrophyDCC July 2013Trophy
    Ow look! its a troll face.. on a troll!! its funny because it is original......and it's ...probably never done before...mmh...ehh

Troll face is owned by... the internetz?

Okay here's a swamp

Check out my work at Golden Eagle's Altered Art blog
    http://alteredartmagic.blogspot.com/search/label/Nicolarre

or in my Humble Alter Gallery at DeviantArt: http://nicolarre.deviantart.com/gallery/
    I find that a lot of little particles come from the paper towel(I use a really old rag) I use when I'm cleaning and or adding water. I use a wet pallet when I paint and I find it helps me find the right amount of water pretty easily. I paint a lot of very transparent layers when I'm making smooth transitions.

Gallery
    PM me for Commissions

GBU The Mimeoplasm Combo EDH
    Nicolarre; I *love* the swamp. However, I like the credit you give for the troll face even better. Had me lol'ing.
    Level 2 DCI Judge
    @Nico: I must say I preffer yours than the original (seriously!) You've dessaturated the atmosphere by cuting the small branches, and also making the moon as the central element instead of the statue was genius. Wink
    When I'm back in Buenos Aires in a couple of months, we definitly have to hang around and work on something togheter. Grin
    *** My Helpdesk ***

Quote from iplaythisgame

Just a thought: In between his legs, it looks as though some original art is showing. AMAZING work otherwise, as always!

EDH:
    :symb::symb::symb: The Horde! :symb::symb::symb:
    W/B mana Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter W/B mana
    U/B mana Dralnu- Dimir Snap! U/B mana
    :symwu::symur::symrw: Zedruu the Greathearted :symrw::symur::symwu:
    :symwu::symub::symwb: Zur the Enchanter :symwb::symub::symwu:
    red mana Kumano, Master Yamabushi red mana
    white mana Thalia, Guardian of Thraben white mana
    Quote from BlackBull
    @Nico: I must say I preffer yours than the original (seriously!) You've dessaturated the atmosphere by cuting the small branches, and also making the moon as the central element instead of the statue was genius. Wink

Thanks!, although that was just a by-product of my inability to draw the smaller branches.. XD

Quote from BlackBull

When I'm back in Buenos Aires in a couple of months, we definitly have to hang around and work on something togheter. Grin

Sure thing
    Check out my work at Golden Eagle's Altered Art blog
    http://alteredartmagic.blogspot.com/search/label/Nicolarre

or in my Humble Alter Gallery at DeviantArt: http://nicolarre.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Yo dawg! I heard you like black knight. So I putted a black knight on a black knight so you can scourge goodness while scourging goodness.

Source from the Black Knight film poster.

Yurius MTG alters on FB
    Alterations portfolio
    My alters on Ebay
    I accept any kind of commission -> yuriusalters @ gmail.com

Source=
    Quote from Moltar
    Batterskull enters play and pwns face for the rest of the game

I play:
    Judge-ified Maze of Ith

Sword of Body and Mind

Sword of War and Peace

Maze is based off of the judge foil, Sword of Body and Mind, Sword of War and Peace
    Follow me on Facebook at Oneiros Alters!

My Alters:

http://photobucket.com/oneiros76

I do commissions woooeeeooo

My Store:

http://tinyurl.com/6p9n2vw
    Quote from BlackWingStudio
    Finally, after an absolute marathon painting session, I finally got these all finished up!

Characters Shyvana, Ryze, Blitzcrank, Karthus, and Dr. Mundo of League of Legends.

BlackWing - I just wanted to say that I've been slowly chipping away and reading this full thread and looking at all of the posted alters. I was not a fan of your earlier work, but I can see some serious progress when I look at your newer postings - and especially this group here looks just great.
    Quote from Qatol
    BlackWing - I just wanted to say that I've been slowly chipping away and reading this full thread and looking at all of the posted alters. I was not a fan of your earlier work, but I can see some serious progress when I look at your newer postings - and especially this group here looks just great.

Thanks! The compliments really mean a lot to me! I've not been altering nearly as long as some of the others on this forum, so I had to push myself VERY hard to play catch-up when I first started out. I'm still not quite in league with some of the greats that post here, but I'm not stopping till I am. Smile
    Check out my Card Alters blog and follow me on Facebook

Or as always, you can find me on twitter @BlackWingStudio or DeviantArt
    First-timer here. There's some jaw-droppingly amazing talent here, I feel somewhat presumptuous posting my beginner's stuff on this thread - but here goes!

Doom Blade (art by Chippy): first experiment, and it shows. Especially the death ray's colors are off and the bottom part of the ray is even slanted wrong. Still, I had no idea how presentable the result would be and I was pleased with the result.

Plated Geopede (art by Eric Deschamps): I... like this one. I had trouble with the lava which definitely needs work, but I really like the mountains and night sky on the right.

Journey to Nowhere (art by Warren Mahy): no complaints here, this is my favorite alter so far.

Ponder (art by Mark Tedin): I knew this one wasn't going to be easy, and it was really hard. It took me twice as long as the others and I don't much like the way the paint style of the water clashes with that of the merfolk. Maybe this card wasn't the best choice this early in my altering career.

Izzet Signet (art by Greg Hildebrandt): I figured I'd back-paddle some on the difficulty with this one, but it was harder than I anticipated because of the way the purple darkened gradually from top to bottom. The pic doesn't show the actual colors very well, in real life the purple at the bottom is significantly darker than at the top, I'm fairly satisfied with the blending effect although I probably applied more layers than commonly acceptable (no big deal, it's for my own non-tournament use anyway).

Critique is welcome, just keep in mind that I started last week and have no artistic schooling Redface

Thanks for looking!
    Hicham & Fredo's 450 Rochester Cube
    Thread
    Cube Tutor
    Some more cards for my cube:

Reference for the Demon is a Kris Kuksi scuplture.
    http://arrestedmotion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/neo-roman1.jpg
    Be sure to check out his work!

Great alters lately. Especially YuriuS, i really dig the StP playset.
    Last edited by bigup: 3/16/2012 5:20:45 PM
    Have a look at some of my altered cards:
    http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/bigupbigup/

Facebook
    Here is a picture of the in-progress alter on an Urza's Saga Plains, along with the three colors of paint that I used in the color matching. I dont use high quality paints at the moment, but I still get pretty decent results. Next step will be to extend the land masses.

Well, I couldn't finish this before the sunset. I'll take a daylight pic tomorrow:
    EDIT: Oh! For the record, this is my March's entry. Kekeke
    ATTACHMENTS
    • DSC05553
    *** My Helpdesk ***

@BlackBull

This one really rocks, very imaginative and really awesome. Also you got a really unique style.
    Less extensions, more original art! Yay!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes