Custom Card Sleeves Discussion

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this thread, sorry if that's the case.

I know some people have custom playmats and custom life counters, is there any web site that does custom sleeve printing? On that note, are non-major brand name sleeves allowed in sanctioned events?

Basically, I'm looking for custom sleeves for my EDH decks with my general's art on them. If there is a site that does this please let me know.
    Good stuff on game design, playing to win, and "cheapness": Domination 101 and Sirlin.net

Lover of EDH, hater of whiny EDH players.
    There is alot of people looking for this but no one currently does, to do it yourself I think you need some kind of speical printer.

Avatar by Xenoninja thanks a ton. Sig by me(Last Updated: 11/17/12)
    Realm of the Bug, the best shop for awesome sigs and avatars.
    Come here to come support our weekly banner contests, and voice your opinion on any of the work there Smile
    I live in the DFW area. I actually know of some printing companies that will do this. There are many downsides though.

1. You have to pay a setup fee for the printing process.
    2. You have to realize that during printing, things can become unalligned, so you may have to provide quite a few more sleeves then you are actually getting printing to assure that there are enough when done.
    3. It really isnt worth it honestly.
    some artists that do magic cards do sleeves.
    Credit to Heroes of the Plane Studios for the Avatar & Miraculous Recovery for the Banner.
    GBDeath Cloud (Modern)BG
    GUPrime Speaker Zegana (EDH)UG
    WBGhost Council of Orzhova (EDH)BW
    Quote from MuhammedALee
    some artists that do magic cards do sleeves.

I'm pretty sure the artists don't do the sleeves themselves. They are all made by the normal companies with the artists' work on them.

I have been looking for custom sleeves for 3 years now and I am convinced they simply don't exist. Ultra-pro has ignored my calls and emails. Max Protection blows me off as well. customcardsleeves.com has been "ucoming soon" for years.

Quote from Motumbo
    I live in the DFW area. I actually know of some printing companies that will do this. There are many downsides though.

1. You have to pay a setup fee for the printing process.
    2. You have to realize that during printing, things can become unalligned, so you may have to provide quite a few more sleeves then you are actually getting printing to assure that there are enough when done.
    3. It really isnt worth it honestly.

This makes sense. I have seen companies than can print anything on about anything, but quality is always a huge issue. And, when you actually plan on physically using them.... boooooo!
    I think I need to make a company for it.

I could make a lot of money from it pretty quickly...
    yes, yes you would.
    Not sure how else you could get them, mayeb kinkos has the right printer:D

Come here to come support our weekly banner contests, and voice your opinion on any of the work there Smile
    How much would everyone pay for a set of 80 of custom sleeves?

I can make this happen if it's profitable. Custom work is never cheap since you can't mass produce.
    Last edited by Holynorth: 7/15/2010 4:53:54 PM
    Oh, I have a printer that can do it, and I've done a couple before, but I've never even attempted to do a full-scale custom shop.

If people would pay the price, I would definitely try it out.
    How much would you want for a 80 sleeve set?
    I'd happily commision this.
    By the way what kind of printer is it?
    Last edited by Megabug: 7/15/2010 6:39:19 PM

Sign me up for two sets of 100 sleeves each Grin
    Good stuff on game design, playing to win, and "cheapness": Domination 101 and Sirlin.net

Lover of EDH, hater of whiny EDH players.
    If the quality matched (or came close to) that of Ultrapro's sleeves, i'd pay maybe 15-20 bucks for a set of 80-100 sleeves.
    Quote from Galspanic
    I'm pretty sure the artists don't do the sleeves themselves. They are all made by the normal companies with the artists' work on them.

I have been looking for custom sleeves for 3 years now and I am convinced they simply don't exist. Ultra-pro has ignored my calls and emails. Max Protection blows me off as well. customcardsleeves.com has been "ucoming soon" for years.

This makes sense. I have seen companies than can print anything on about anything, but quality is always a huge issue. And, when you actually plan on physically using them.... boooooo!

Hey,
    I have recently been bitten by the I want custom sleeves bug. From other previous experiences in hobbies, it seems that custom sleeves should be a GO! But I am having the same problems, but I think the biggest issue is where we are going in the supply change.

For custom dice, most people are going straight to the supplier. Dragon Shield, Ultra-pro, and KMC are all middle-men. I have to admit my business savy outwieghs my ability to search, but I am pretty sure all those three companies outsource production of the actual deck sleeves to other companies. (Read: To little companies in South-east Asia). I think if there is even a small group of people who are willing to approach a real supplier I think this could actually happen.
    zemanjaski
    "There is a real reason why stronger players like decks with more mana; especially control decks ~ longer games lead to more decision making, which favours the stronger player. How appropriate that line of thinking is will depend on what the meta allows, but when it's possible, I'm always going to play big-mana aggro over sligh ~ it gives me the best possible opportunity to out think and outplay my opponents. "
    Quote from PierceC
    I think if there is even a small group of people who are willing to approach a real supplier I think this could actually happen.

I have neither the time nor energy to do much, but if you find someone and can get a good enough deal I would be very interested. I found custom playmats, and I need accompanying sleeves.
    Well,
    I have already started speaking to a supplier in Taiwan, its very early days, but the biggest issue will be around order numbers.

What is the largest number of sleeves somone would be willing to buy to have a customised set of deck protectors.

At the outset, I just don't think we'd be able to do retail numbers (a single pack of 50/80). So it would be useful to understand what people's maximum would be.
    zemanjaski
    "There is a real reason why stronger players like decks with more mana; especially control decks ~ longer games lead to more decision making, which favours the stronger player. How appropriate that line of thinking is will depend on what the meta allows, but when it's possible, I'm always going to play big-mana aggro over sligh ~ it gives me the best possible opportunity to out think and outplay my opponents. "
    100 is probably a maximum I would go for. Maybe 150.

Banner by perv90210

I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.
    It is good to learn from your failures, but I prefer to learn from the failures of others.
    I'd go for up to 100. That's the perfect number for EDH, and it's a nice all-around number for cube draft sets.

Edit: Keep in mind that all Magic artwork is copyrighted, and as such it wouldn't be able to be used on sleeves. I know this is common knowledge, but some people do tend to forget that.

Mr Smite is gone? Well, the reason for that is obvious...
    Deathwing is in fact a giant mechanical construct, piloted by none other than a vengeful Tauren, who has, finally, improvised.

Currently Playing
    Legacy
    R Burn R
    W Stax W

EDH
    Undecided!

Casual
    Anything and Everything!

Currently looking for both normal and foil International versions of Stuffy Doll! Please PM me if you have any available!
    For the image I have in mind, 300-315.
    Customcardsleeves.com has been in the works forever >

If someone gets professionally made custom sleeves done, i'm down for a cubes worth at least.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=7][COLOR=SandyBrown][SIZE=3][B][COLOR=Blue][URL="http://www.fusioncash.net/?ref=plaguezombie"]I've made over 300 bucks off of this site since 10/29/09...Why haven't you?!?!?![/URL] [URL="http://www.cashpirate.com/members/register.php?ref=plaguezombie"]I've also made over 95 bucks on this site since I started on 11/24/09. Give it a try![/URL] [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Looking to try out a new card site[SIZE=3], but need an incentive? Want to buy [SIZE=3]2 [SIZE=3]NM [/SIZE]Hallowed [SIZE=3]Fountains for less than $13 shipped?[/SIZE][/SIZE] Send me your email [SIZE=3]in a PM and I can get you a coupo[SIZE=3]n for $5 [SIZE=3]off of your first order [SIZE=3]of $10 or more at cardtitan.com![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][U][I][B][COLOR=Blue] [/COLOR][/B][/I][/U]

BBCode Render failed due to reaching MaxNestingDepth(5) for Tag: size

I've looked into this a bit, and agree that the market is wide open.

However, I can't imagine going through the all the trouble of printing a set of 100 for less than $50 per order. Not only is it time intensive to produce, but the logistics to make it work and be high quality are astounding. In short, it's much harder than one might suspect.

I guess the real question is to ask whether the market would bear such a price tag?
    Quote from Aeon-Phoenix
    I've looked into this a bit, and agree that the market is wide open.

However, I can't imagine going through the all the trouble of printing a set of 100 for less than $50 per order. Not only is it time intensive to produce, but the logistics to make it work and be high quality are astounding. In short, it's much harder than one might suspect.
    And yet if you asked $50 for a set of 100 you would have people lining up for those at first. I am telling you, there is a demand and Magic players are notorious for wasting money on pimp garbage. The simple fact that people pay more for foil is my proof. I pay $50 for a custom playmat, why not $50 for sleeves too? And if you could get me 300 for $60 (since the set up fee is the bulk of it), I would do that today.
    Quote from Aeon-Phoenix
    I guess the real question is to ask whether the market would bear such a price tag?
    I think so. A lot of people won't want to spend the money, but... again, foil example.
    I think Galspanic is right on the money here. Literal money, if someone actually doe this. If I played EDH, I'd buy a hundred of my general straight up. I bet there are a thousand others who'd do the same, too.
    Currently Playing:

Standard
    Nowt

Modern
    GWU Next Level Blue

Legacy
    UW Mono-U Control

Commander
    BGW Ghave
    (developing)
    UBG The Mimeoplasm
    WUBRG Horde of Notions
    I think the real challenge here must be getting permission to print and sell the art which is all "shrouded" in copyrights.

It's my only thought on why nobody has capitalized on it yet - mile upon mile of red tape..
    If anyone goes anywhere with this, I want something of the order of five to six hundred sleeves...
    Stop wasting your time here and come to a forum that actually fosters intelligent discussion: Fires Rf Salvation
    The copyright thing really wouldn't be much of a problem if you could contact each respective custom artist.

Say, You have the technology and the manpower/supplies to make these custom sleeves, so you ask the customers to supply you with the artists name, Offer the respective artist a respectable amount money to cover royalties, And Print custom sleeves at about $80 For a Custom Set of 120 sleeves, giving people with EDH decks, 100 for their EDH deck, 20 backup sleeves. Or people who just want to have a few decks sleeved up, 2 full decks is their choice art.

Then the breakdown could run, $20 to cover the artist, $40 for Base Fee's and Printing Costs, and $20 profit.
    Ravarshi Kashaku, Ancient Dragon of the Darkened Realms;
    The Merciless Lord of Torture, Permanently Bound To: ">[THE PACK] 11/5/63 - 11/25/09 Goodbye mom, i'll always love you...

Tibalt & His Devils vs. Avacyn's Inquisitors

My EDH decklists
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes